Small Mig Welder??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Cant go wrong with the hobart. It goes down to 25 amp. Has a stable arc and consumables are plentiful. My 80 cu ft bottle was 300 from air gas. Which seems outrageous but i own it. Btw i got that patch sent out to you today. Snail mail but its coming. Lookin forward to seein what your plan to fix the regal is.

The Hobart seems like a good buy. Should be sufficient for what I need. Those bottles are so expensive, but unless you are going through them all the time I think it's worth owning it.

Appreciate you getting that mailed out, I'll figure out a way to get it burned in!

Reactions: 1 users

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Dust masks are just that DUST MASKS they are NO PROTECTION FROM FUMES. You need to use the same chemical filters that you would use for painting. The best test is if you can smell the fumes/vapors, your not protected.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00328IAO0/?tag=gbody-20
3m-particulate-filter-2097-p100-100-per-case.jpg

When properly fitted, use in a variety of applications including welding, brazing, torch cutting, metal pouring, soldering, and exposure to lead, asbestos, cadmium, arsenic, and MDA for concentrations up to 10 times the Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL) with half facepieces or 50 times PEL with full facepieces.

Last edited:

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
All I can say about the heat range settings and wire speed settings are built that way for a reason. The inside of the door tells you where to set it for what you're welding. They have it figured out for you already. Why would you need more settings? This is a small machine. If you think you need more settings, you need a bigger machine. You're not going to build a skyscraper with the 140 or 180. If you do restoration work of any kind on an old vehicle, it's perfect for that

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I have been following this thread for a while. I am looking into buying a bigger welder than what I have. I have been interested in what people thoughts are. Has anyone had any experience with Eastwood welders? Thoughts on them? I am looking at 220 volt machines. I like what people have to say about Hobart, but I don't like the idea of a 20% duty cycle. Eastwood has what I want with a 60% duty cycle for the same amount of money. Just don't know if they are worth a crap? I have a 110 volt Miller gas mig now. It is good for what it is, I am just used to a bigger machine and what I can do. I don't like the small torch gun on the Miller though. Any thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I got an eastwood 135. The only real problem ive had is the gas stays on after you let off the trigger. So it waste a ton of gas. Not near as smooth of an arc as my hobart 140 was. But it works.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00328IAO0/?tag=gbody-20
View attachment 137634
When properly fitted, use in a variety of applications including welding, brazing, torch cutting, metal pouring, soldering, and exposure to lead, asbestos, cadmium, arsenic, and MDA for concentrations up to 10 times the Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL) with half facepieces or 50 times PEL with full facepieces.
I’ve been doing asbestos abatement for over 31 years. The regular P-100 is the best particulate filter, but if you want the best protection get the combo filters. No matter what your doing you won’t even smell it, like using acid to strip chrome or painting. A fullface gives a protection factor of 1,000 where the halface is only 50

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I picked up the Lincoln 140 a few weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to view the instruction CD. Thanks for posting your thoughts here.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The Hobart seems like a good buy. Should be sufficient for what I need. Those bottles are so expensive, but unless you are going through them all the time I think it's worth owning it.

Appreciate you getting that mailed out, I'll figure out a way to get it burned in!
Since you’re in Pgh like me, avoid Butler gas for a bottle. They’re expensive and they have bankig hours, no Saturdays. I have one from them, but West Penn Laquer is a much better company to deal with. I have one from them. They have Saturday hours. They also mix SEM interior paints perfectly.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Since you’re in Pgh like me, avoid Butler gas for a bottle. They’re expensive and they have bankig hours, no Saturdays. I have one from them, but West Penn Laquer is a much better company to deal with. I have one from them. They have Saturday hours. They also mix SEM interior paints perfectly.

We used west penn in millvale all the time when I worked in a body shop. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
We used west penn in millvale all the time when I worked in a body shop. I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Same here going back to the 70s. That’s why I still go to Millvale from Penn Hills. If I want the BEST products and advice, they’re number one

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor