Smart Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Mercedes just came out with a recall for possible fires.....if the car starts first try you're ok but if you have to try it a few times a fuse will overheat and melt wires which could cause a fire. In the old days they used fuses to prevent fires, not cause them....:wtf:

Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013

I wondered about that in passing while swapping my tank. So like, uh, yeah, thanks for filling in some background for me, and really getting my attention. :D

I've been planning for years to install a trailer hitch, now I have one more reason to actually get around to it. EDIT: Except that, having looked at the installation instructions for the Curt unit, it looks like it won't do you any good, really, it mounts too far underneath.

Last edited:

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I was pocking around the site leaning stuff when I found this well it's been a joke in the shop ever sence I put a quarter panel on a smart car real dumb they come in color and clip on like a snaptight model
IMG_20140828_162050.jpg
and this one is a convertible might as well drive a shopping cart with a Briggs and Stratton 3 hp

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
As some of you know I have a friend in the car stereo business. Yesterday he had a Smart Car come in to replace the factory speakers in the front door. He had never worked on a Smart Car but he figured it wouldn't be a complicated job. He was wrong, to change the speakers in the door you have to remove the outer door handle and mirror and then take the door skin off to get to the speakers....:blam:
Early Saturn's were like that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I put a quarter panel on a smart car real dumb they come in color and clip on like a snaptight model

Early Saturn's were like that.

I remember the first time I went looking for a quarter panel for one of those Saturns like that with a customer. He said he needed a certain color. I was like, "Why does it matter what color it is? You're gonna have to paint it after you cut it out and weld it back in anyways." When he explained that you didn't have to cut or weld to replace the quarter panel, I was really surprised. Plastic cars.... What's the world coming to?

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I remember the first time I went looking for a quarter panel for one of those Saturns like that with a customer. He said he needed a certain color. I was like, "Why does it matter what color it is? You're gonna have to paint it after you cut it out and weld it back in anyways." When he explained that you didn't have to cut or weld to replace the quarter panel, I was really surprised. Plastic cars.... What's the world coming to?
Pontiac Fiero's had colored replacement panels too. attached with flat head Torx screws.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Pontiac Fiero's had colored replacement panels too. attached with flat head Torx screws.

I wish I knew that when I was given the job to replace the AC compressor on a Fiero. It probably would have been easier if I just unscrewed the whole body of the rear end of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor