Smart Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Are you implying that it would have been survivable if you hit the culvert in a gbody ?

I hit one when living in Florida with my 74 GP....put my car in the ditch and hit a culvert. I was told the car went about 15 feet in the air, did a 360 airborne and bent all the cragar protects when it landed. I woke up when the paramedics were pushing me back into the car on the passenger side. I have no seatbelt on and got tossed to the passenger side and out through the windshield. My right leg was trapped in the center console under the dash keeping me from flying any further. Don't remember much about the accident except for when the paramedics were dealing with me...the guys who new me and saw my car thought I was dead...but I survived...:D

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Are you implying that it would have been survivable if you hit the culvert in a gbody ?
Safer than a pipe dream crumple zone car lol. Hell I hit a tree in my cutlass doing at least 50. We pulled it out of the ditch, jump started it and I drove home

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Damn GP....well glad you got out of that one!!
I wonder how a G-Body will fare after doing something like this: haha

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Safer than a pipe dream crumple zone car lol. Hell I hit a tree in my cutlass doing at least 50. We pulled it out of the ditch, jump started it and I drove home

that does not qualify you as a tree hugger....:D

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Damn GP....well glad you got out of that one!!
I wonder how a G-Body will fare after doing something like this: haha

I saw that one.....that guy took a ride... I've had my share, another trip through the windshield was in a VW bug when my friend hit a 68 Buick Wildcat head on...the next day we all went sking with our stitches and that guy who was driving the bug ran into the only tree on the hill, he had bad luck

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
A shame they destroyed that 59 Chevy.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
with the wind we just had in Metro Detroit yesterday, I would have been scared in a smart car.

I'm all for tech, not just in that small car.

Honestly, if I had the money, I would consider taking my g-body to one of those guys who converts gas cars into electric cars (I think they did a fastback Mustang). I'd love to have a 9 second car that didn't make any noise.

• Agree

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Things we all need to remember is that over a certain speed no car is going to be a good car to be in a wreck in. I'm sure we've all heard a story about so and so not wearing their seat belt and were thrown from the car and if they had they would be dead. There is truth to it in a way because past a certain speed your odds of walking away or surviving greatly diminish. Whether youre in the car or not. Thankfully most car accidents happen at less then 35 miles an hour and that is what modern manufacturers focus on for the occupants to be uninjured in.

But no two accidents are ever the same. Where you hit and how you hit all matter and when it comes to car vs car, size definitely matters. A gbody probably will survive a wreck better with a modern car because the modern car gives and absorbs the impact. Take two g bodies in the same wreck and the outcome is going to be different. That energy isn't just omitted because it's a heavy framed car. It's transfered to its occupants.

Simple fact is that safety absolutely has a price. If we were all so concerned about safety we would all be driving around in cars that are roll caged. But in the end we take the risk for which ever vehicle is most comfortable and convenient and suits our needs the best whether it's a tiny city car or a full size truck.

Last edited:
  • Agree

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
And roll cages kind of debunk crumple zones....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor