smoke coming from somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArsonSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2011
there is smoke coming from somewhere in my engine. I know it could be due to a number of reasons. Any suggestions on where to start looking? By the way it is an 84 Monte SS

docrocket1967

Greasemonkey
Sep 19, 2010
Florida
Had the same exact issue and fixed mine today. I would start from the cheapest and work my way up if your gona start replacing stuff. Is it smoke that you see only when the car warms up or is ot right away when you start it? Any leaks on the ground after parking it? Any low fluids? I changedy valve cover gaskets and it fixed my problems today but i took a wild guess because it was leaking from the back of the passenger side valve cover onto the exhaust.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Did you spill any fluids on the exhaust manifolds?

ArsonSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2011
I replaced the valve cover gaskets about a year and a half ago, for the same reasons but I figure it wasnt the cause this time. There is a lil oil underneath the car. I will try new valve cover gaskets. Will post my results thanks guys

docrocket1967

Greasemonkey
Sep 19, 2010
Florida
Ya it only ended up being part of my issue. Theres still another leak somewhere

Bossman317

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2010
Plainfield Indiana
I've got a small smoking issue too. I think it's from the leak I had on my transmission coolant lines...Probably fell on the headers..
If it's from the passenger side, you might start off and check the oil dipstick and makesure it's seated correctly, perhaps go grab some minute gasket from Autozone and put some around it and slide it back in.
Check the distributor gaket if you have turned it at all recently, it might have broken. Check your oil pressure sending unit to the right of the distributor, those poopy *ss brass fittings bust from the vibration of the engine.

All those are good places to start. under 5$ fixes for all of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor