smoke coming out of my breather

Status
Not open for further replies.

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
my freind said my guide plates are going bad cause there is some smoke or steam coming out of my breather on my passenger side valve cover is this true :shock:

1fast87olds

Greasemonkey
Feb 18, 2006
St. Albans Wv
sounds like to me its blowby... oil ring is goin bad

BB Olds

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2007
Wi.
what about that was offencive

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Smoke out the exhaust..... yea if it's a two-stroke. :lol:

Now, seriously, how "fresh" is your engine??? If it is just rebuilt, it could very well have excess blow-by 'till the rings seat. My engine did this for about 500-700 miles after I built it. Mine still has a fair amount of vapor, but nothing out of the ordinary for a decent "built" small block.

Unless vapor & oil are running down the valve cover, I wouldn't worry about it.

One more thing... do you have a PCV valve plumbed into the back of your carb off the drivers side valve cover?? If not do it!!

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
heavy breathing

Get a compression check done, you should have something like 140-180 psi readings. If one or more is significantly lower than the rest its bad news I'm afraid.Good luck!.

8GPLE7

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2007
Az.
I had the same thing happen last year. First it was just smoke out the breather then the oil started blowing out. If I got on it hard enough you could see where the oil blew out the dipstick tube :shock:

I just put in a fresh 355 a coupla' weeks ago. I tore the old engine apart expecting to find some broken rings, but instead I found some broken ring lands on the #5 piston!! All the rings were fine.

Like mentioned above, get a compression check.

Cj

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor