Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Whelp, it is, reluctantly, going to be a parts car I think. Maybe it will get a body tub swap at best.

The rear tray is non existent. As in, there is nothing on either side aside from the brackets that help hold the trim panel down.

View attachment 205210

I hate to do it, I really do. The front and rear windshield aren't even firmly held in. Rather than re-seal they tried to silicone over it which.... didn't really work as time had shown. If I gently push from inside the whole thing is going to come out, your choice front or rear.

I'll probably box up the 88-specific parts. The 3-wire wiper motor, the gauge cluster, etc. Save those for a rainy day. The wiring harness on this thing shows a TON of modifications.

Noticed some black plastic where the cowl trim panel was removed by the PO on either end, not used to seeing this wonder if it was made by someone to, again, work on water leaks? Or was it factory attempt at same.

That is what every Monte I’ve taken apart has, factory black plastic on each end with light silicone to help hold one end in place. Maybe a later year thing added to help potential leaks, I typically only have owned/parted out 86-88’s.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
If the top speed on the speedometer on a 87-88 SS being 120mph is funny vehicles made with 140 and 160mph speedometers are also funny. As hot as Barbara’s Honda Odyssey might be it isn’t going to reach 160 even if going downhill with the wind behind it.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The whole leftover 88’ thing isn’t true, yet I keep hearing it from time to time. They are built in the 1988 model year, so they are 1988’s. 87’ Regals and I assume Grand Prix’s were made in the 88’ model year and called 87’s, so if anything it’s the opposite for them. The Regal and GP had the new body style coming out in 88’ so it didn’t confuse people.

1988’s have at least one minor difference too that isn’t easy to find but specific to 1988’s. Another thing proving the “leftover” 87’ thing incorrect.
Agree. The entire "use up leftover parts" is BS. They can toss all that junk and take it off their taxes much easier than generating new "designs" just to use up last year's stuff. And then, they still can't "use it up" because they were required to have a certain inventory of warranty repair parts for a certain period of time after manufacture.

I'm going to say the only difference I've ever found for 88 Monte SS was it had its own valve body part number for 1988 only in the MW9 transmission. Was it better or worse than the 87?

I thought it was the ECM and calibrator were different as well, but no. 87-88 SS used the same ones (16069011 OEM ECM, with 1228079 service ECM) (calibrator code ACFZ) according to parts information.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Not sure where you are CK, or maybe bring the van and the tools and help you with it.

I'm thinking trip to Tractor Supply get a gallon of Kabota Orange and put a big "01" on the door, make it yard art for a while.

Believe it or not, I've seen worse. You should see Max, 81 Firebird from Iowa, back end just as bad. It's still back burner, need to finish back subframe and tubs.

If me and had time it would be tub and cage. Or go pro street.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor