Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Kudos to you for keeping at it. Its easy to lose sight of the end goal and skip over some steps only to be unhappy with the results.

Thanks. When it's said and done, I want to raise the hood and be satisfied with how it looks, so that has kept me going. I've often questioned if I should have just bolted it back together with a better drive train and skip all this cosmetic stuff. That way, I'd be driving the car but I'm just not cut that way. I can't live with the grease and crust.

Yeah, it's boring, labor intensive work, but its the kinda of stuff that will really make your car stand out. I usually don't have the patience for it, so I end up finding a medium between my meticulousness and my patience.

Also keep in mind they were sloppy and imperfect from the factory, so don't be overly critical of yourself. I have that problem a lot if the time. It looks great, your doing an excellent job!

Thanks Joe. I appreciate it. It will never be as nice as my brother's car, but hopefully it will end up looking pretty good.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Update:

I got back to the storage Saturday morning and finished up the prep. I had to break off early around noon for a family commitment. I got back over there this morning and got the primer coat on. I'll be honest, on all of this, I've felt funny about priming/painting my engine compartment with a brush. Still, given the circumstances, I've believed it was the best approach. It took almost 3 hours to get it all primed. Now that I'm at this point, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it all in black with all the tape and plastic removed. I'm ready to move on.
20171210_124239.jpg

20171210_124203.jpg

20171210_124221.jpg

20171210_124230.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 17 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm running out of adjectives trying to do justice to describe the awesome work you do...:)

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm running out of adjectives trying to do justice to describe the awesome work you do...:)

Thanks Steve. I really appreciate all the nice feedback you've had regarding how the project is coming along.

Coming along very nicely Jared!

Thanks Kevin! I appreciate the compliment.

Looks great Jared. If I were you, I'd be looking forward to seeing it completed too.

Thanks! I wish I knew your first name. It seems like I should. I'm terrible with names, so if I should, I appologize. I am looking forward to seeing the engine back in it, but that's a ways off. Thanks for following along and the kind words.

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Another milestone gents. I've been at the storage a good deal the past several evenings. The fender inner panels, core support and portions of the frame rails that were obscured by the inner fenders all have two coats of black on them. Tonight I went over to pull most of the tape and plastic, tidy things up and get some pictures. It is far, far, FAR from perfect but I think it looks pretty good. I think it looks a lot better than it did. Hopefully when it's put back together I won't look like a dumb redneck who painted his engine compartment with a brush.....

20171214_184908.jpg

20171214_184825.jpg

20171214_184758.jpg

20171214_184713.jpg

20171214_184642.jpg

One of my next tasks is to clean up the portion of the firewall/toeboard under the pinchweld and then I'm going to apply new undercoating to dress that up. I also want to doll up the top of the core support and the filler panels between it and the header panel. I've held off because I've had mixed feelings about brushing the top of the core support since it will be so visible. The filler panels will be sprayed for sure.

Beyond that, I want to work towards getting the driver's side inner fender in. There are a few details to take care of first. After the driver's side is in, I need to get the car down off the stands, onto the wheel dollies, and get it pushed all the way over where the driver's side is nearly touching the wall of the storage, so I can get the passenger door open. I need to tackle the power antenna repair before I put the passenger inner fender back in.

That's enough daydreaming for now. Until the next update friends.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 13 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I think you're being a little too hard on yourself Jared....from what I can see it looks really good! It's all going to come together nicely when the engine gets put in.

• Agree

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I have seen a lot of threads that say "I'm not sure how I missed this thread" and always wondered how. Now I have to say the same thing, how did I miss your build when I see you everywhere on the forum?

Awesome work!

And to answer the question, "who does enjoy cleaning/scraping/sanding?" I am that weird guy that enjoys cleaning, painting, scraping, and making it look better than it ever could have been from the factory. Apparently, you do too. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor