Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Love the progress!
Thanks man! And thanks for following along. I really enjoy following your build.
The parts look great, Jared.
The color does look more like a charcoal grey rather than black.
Believe it or not, my interior is burgundy and my dash and trim have been re-painted burgundy. The original color was red. Now red is a pukey color and it looks terrible when it starts to fade.
In my case, the burgundy looks richer than red...just my opinion, and goes well with the vanilla color that I chose.
The black will look really nice in your car...especially with the red exterior.

Looks like you have plenty of space in your storage locker. Just what you needed to make life easier working on your car. Nice to see you making positive progress. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Jack. I think you did a fantastic job on your interior and agree it suits the color of the car very well. The burgundy didn't work with the red paint on my car in my view. Red with a black interior just works. Yeah, I'm really enjoying the space of my new 'shop'. It has plenty of shortcomings (no bathroom, not insulated, no 220V, etc.) but it's by far the nicest setup I've ever had and I prefer to be grateful for what I have rather than worry about what I don't have.
Looks great! And I would have given my left nut for just a dye job on my dash. You got off easy. ;)
Thanks Mike. Yeah, I'm really lucky that the dash is in such good shape, especially considering the paint was baked on it and some of the interior plastic has sun damage.
Things look good to me Jared. I think that both you and Sean are doing a great job. Once you did your work after the dye job, I think the dash looks great. As Jack has said, I think the black interior will look great with the red exterior of your car. Keep up the great work!
Thanks Jeff. We both appreciate the kind words. Thanks for following along.
Jared,

Great work and huge progress! Thumbs-up! (y) BTW -- You have humidity problems in Texas and we have snow up the ying-yang up here! Just can't win... I can't wait for late April to get the car out of storage!

If you need any glove box parts from a GP (no charge) -- I have all that stuff left over since I don't have a glove box anymore -- it's been converted to a fuse panel bay. Let me know.

What were you planning to do with the dash insert (i.e., the long rectangular acrylic insert with the scripted "Grand Prix" text)? Is yours in good condition? When I was trying to restore mine, I nicely polished it but noticed it had a bit of a curve. Wanting to straighten it, a bright idea popped into my head -- why not put it in the oven on very low heat and then place some books over it! Well... what a fiasco!! I guess the "low heat" was not low enough and the whole thing just warped.:mad: As a result, I had to get a local CNC shop to make me an insert out of aluminum (black anodized). I found a pretty good match for the GM script that they used and had them engrave it (see below). I thought I'd share that with you in case you're looking to "re-vitalize" your own dash insert.

Keep at it and have fun -- you're doing a great job!

View attachment 84775

Thanks for the kind words Andry. I really appreciate it. If you still have the plastic 'liner' for your glovebox and it has both 'hooks' on it I'd be happy to pay the shipping on it if you are willing to part with it. Mine is pretty nice but is missing one of the hooks so I'd like to fix that issue while it's apart. My dash insert is in really nice shape. I have some vinyl with an 'engine turn' pattern on it that Sean and I are planning to apply to the dash bezel and the dash insert. I do plan to keep the "Grand Prix Brougham" portion of the insert intact though. I just want to cover up the wood grain. Sorry to hear about your mishap with your insert but I really like the custom insert you had made so I would call it a happy accident. Thanks again for everything.

That's it for now guys. We took the day off. I may get the column torn down tomorrow so I can paint the parts sometime next week and put the column back together. Sean and I are taking vacation the week after next and will be working on his Camaro all week. We are calling it the Camaro Thrash. We are going to work to whittle the punch list on the car way down. I'll be updating the thread on his car as we make progress. He's helped me so much with my car lately that I'm really looking forward to giving back. I'm also looking forward to addressing some nagging issues. Long story short, there will be a little bit of a break from the GP for a few weeks but hopefully I can get the column done before that. I hope everyone had a good Saturday.

Best,

Jared

Reactions: 4 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It amazes me how fast I can fall behind on this thread wow you got a lot done! I think it's going to look great. Let me know how that promoter works out I've been using something called Bully Dog but I don't know it's longevity

Reactions: 1 users

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Your dye job looks killer. That low luster clear seems to do a fantastic job showing off the grains in the various parts you've sprayed.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Jared,

I finally found the plastic liner from the glove box. It's all intact with both clips solidly attached. I'll package it up this weekend and send it off to you on Monday (regular mail -- is that OK?).

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jared,

I finally found the plastic liner from the glove box. It's all intact with both clips solidly attached. I'll package it up this weekend and send it off to you on Monday (regular mail -- is that OK?).
That's awesome of you Andry. Thanks. Absolutely no hurry. We're shifting gears and getting on Sean's Camaro for the next 8 days so we'll be taking a break from the GP. Let me know what I owe you on shipping and I'll be glad to pay you something for the part as well.

Best,

Jared

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It amazes me how fast I can fall behind on this thread wow you got a lot done! I think it's going to look great. Let me know how that promoter works out I've been using something called Bully Dog but I don't know it's longevity
Thanks Eric. I used Bulldog out of an aerosol can for the adhesion promoter so I think we are using the same thing.
Your dye job looks killer. That low luster clear seems to do a fantastic job showing off the grains in the various parts you've sprayed.
Thanks! I'm not sure I would do the low luster clear if I did it again. Maybe just a little more shine but I'll reserve judgment until the parts are back in the car.
love the detail work on the car
Thanks!

Well guys, I think the GP is officially in storage until the early fall. Probably mid October I'll get back on it. I may get stir crazy and work on some piece parts. We'll see. The last time I was over there I put the cover over the car. Sean and I have stayed busy the past several weekends. We've gone to Baton Rouge and back to move the last of my Mom's stuff here to Houston and we've given my truck and his truck some TLC. I'm going over to Dad's tomorrow to get back on putting the GearVendor's Overdrive and the Toploader four speed in his car. He's made some good progress on it so I will get some pictures and do some updates on his thread.

I think I have a bad motor mount on my truck so I ordered some fancy aftermarket polyurethane mounts. I'm going to borrow a truck from work to drive while I swap the motor mounts in mine. I'm going to do the work over at the storage. I'm going to push the GP to the back and put the truck in ahead of it. With that project and getting back on Dad's car, I don't think I'll get back on the GP before it gets hot. Sean is pushing to go over and work on the GP in the heat but I'm not too excited about that. This is supposed to be fun and working in that heat just isn't for me.

I guess that's it until the end of summer gents. I'm really happy with how far the car came along since last October. I think we'll get the interior back in it and get it running by the spring of 2019. I'll update if there is something to report. Until then...

Best,

Jared

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
Weren't you guys considering doing the HR Powertour this year? I can clearly see that you won't be ready for it this year. Perhaps the plan was for next year.
I was kind of anxious seeing your car coming together, hoping you'd be on the road this summer.
Sometimes things can't be rushed.

Glad to see that Sean's car is finished. It looks absolutely awesome. I'm sure he receives a lot of positive comments. Rightfully so.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Hi Jared. I was looking forward to updates on your GP, since I've really enjoyed the thread you started on the build of that car. Obviously though, life goes on, and there are other things that are priorities for you. I hope the summer isn't too hot. Good luck with the other builds. Looking forward to the return of the thread on your GP in the fall.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor