Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
We're all anxious to see you get back on the GP. I could fully understand it being too hot to comfortably work on it. This summer has been a bear. Hope to see you making progress again.
As always, we'll stay tuned in.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
looking forward to it as well!

quick question: on those zq8 wheels, did you have to do anything to them where the center hub goes in? on mine, they're just a hair too small, and Ive been contemplating usig an old cylinder hone to evenly remove how much I need...

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
looking forward to it as well!

quick question: on those zq8 wheels, did you have to do anything to them where the center hub goes in? on mine, they're just a hair too small, and Ive been contemplating usig an old cylinder hone to evenly remove how much I need...
Darin,

Yes, on the front I ran a sanding drum in there, probably 180 grit, about 2" in diameter. I couldn't have taken much material but it was enough to get them on.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
mine is actually hanging up on the back, both on the regal (story for another time) and the Chief... the fronts didn't seem to hang up, but makes sense now, that the studs didn't come through enough to put the lugs on more than 2 threads.... I plan on the blazer spindles in the near future, but for the time being, I just have the rims/tires from the Regal on the back due to not having a spare 15" tire in the right size....

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
mine is actually hanging up on the back, both on the regal (story for another time) and the Chief... the fronts didn't seem to hang up, but makes sense now, that the studs didn't come through enough to put the lugs on more than 2 threads.... I plan on the blazer spindles in the near future, but for the time being, I just have the rims/tires from the Regal on the back due to not having a spare 15" tire in the right size....
Correction, I used a sort of flap wheel, but it was more drum shaped instead of the type you put on a grinder. When I put the wheels on the car, it had the stock brake setup. I didn't have to remove much material. More like polishing the bores. I think a hone would work well.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Like this....
6TMT9_AS01.jpg

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

timbo512

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
Jared, I'm like you. I took the Summer off. Thought I could do it, but nope it was a scorcher. Now it won't stop raining everyday and these mosquitoes will be the death of us. I haven't forgotten about ya. I still want to come over and compare our setups sometime. I just ordered a Fitech and other parts this week. Need to pull the old harness and clean things up. So I may have deviated from matching your setup...LOL

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
As Driven would say, proof of life post. The GP is still around. It's been under the cover for more than a year....
20190222_173032-2016x1134.jpg

I gave Dad most of last year working on the Galaxie, for which I have no regrets.

I used up the spring time fixing my truck. Now that the truck is out of the storage, I'm storing Mom's car in there, probably for the next several months. Also, now it's really hot, which really hurts my motivation. It was 90° in the storage at 9 a.m. on Saturday morning. Supposedly it hit 101° here in Houston yesterday. I do want to get something done but right now I'm having some trouble with my back so I may end up just staying inside and keeping cool this summer. We'll see. Since getting the truck back on the road I have helped my brother with a few things on his 02 Sierra. We replaced the front hubs, pads and rotors. We also recharged the A/C system.

I have most everything to put the car back together but there is no money right now for the little things I do need. I spent over $4k getting the truck back on the road. Now I'm saving for our family vacation in July. At this point I'm hoping to get a few things done over the summer and then Sean and I are planning to hit the GP hard over the fall/winter/spring.

I'm tentatively planning on lifting the body off the frame to replace the body mount bolts and bushings, and the front-to-rear brake line. I have all the parts so it really should be done. I just mostly didn't want the scope of the project to grow any further. The overall plan is to get the dash back in the car and get the car running and driving, and then get the landau top replaced before putting the interior back in the car. We'll see what happens. For now I'm just looking to get my back fixed up and survive another June, July, August and September in Houston.

That's it for now friends. Hope you didn't get your hopes up too high when you saw an update. I just wanted to keep the thread unlocked.

Best,

Jared

Reactions: 11 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor