Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
hate t see the forward momentum come to a stop, but can understand about not wanting to deal with the heat. looking forward to progress on the other 2 projects, as they are every bit as meticulous as Donovan's, and love seeing the detail you guys apply to even the littlest things.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jared,
Weren't you guys considering doing the HR Powertour this year? I can clearly see that you won't be ready for it this year. Perhaps the plan was for next year.
I was kind of anxious seeing your car coming together, hoping you'd be on the road this summer.
Sometimes things can't be rushed.

Glad to see that Sean's car is finished. It looks absolutely awesome. I'm sure he receives a lot of positive comments. Rightfully so.

Thanks Jack. We had hoped to take Sean's car and Dad's car on the HR Power Tour this year. I knew my car wouldn't be ready. We thought we would have Dad's car ready but he wanted to spend extra time on panel gaps and panel alignment and neither Sean nor I thought we could get him to where he wanted to be with it so we left him to work through it until he made his peace with it. That was last fall. I had planned to work on my car over the winter anyway. At this point we've made our peace with not going this year and hope to take all three next year. We could take Sean's car but it's a little small for three of us and we don't want to go without Dad.

I'm sorry to disappoint you guys by pulling off of the GP for summer. I'm humbled that you guys are interested enough in my build to be disappointed that there won't be updates for awhile. I'm content with the progress made on my car over the winter. My truck needs some TLC. It has gotten very little attention from me over the past year or so and I want to get caught up. I'm going to do the motor mounts, which I received in the mail last night. They look really nice. The outfit that makes them also offers brackets to convert the 'strut' suspension on my truck to coilover shocks and I'm likely to do that conversion. I have the front of my truck dropped four inches. Two inches with drop spindles and two inches with drop struts. I'm not happy with the performance of the struts now that they have some miles on them. The adjustability of the coil overs appeals to me and the capability of putting in stiffer springs appeals as well. What I have now is too soft for the ride height. Between those projects and others I'd like to do on the truck, it will be getting pretty hot. Dad's garage has A/C so spending the summer in there was the plan all along. Also, I want to be there for Dad and get back on trying to help him 'finish' his car so he can enjoy it. He's not getting any younger. I have plenty of time (I hope) to finish mine. My project has 'taken a turn' and so has Sean's so now it's time for Dad.

Thanks for the feedback on Sean's car. He does get a lot of positive feedback. We're really proud of it. He's been driving it to work on nice days, which has been frequent lately. I love that he is enjoying it. It makes me feel great about all the time spent on it, including when it wasn't fun. Between having the completed car and all the memories of the time spent together on it, it's really something.

Hi Jared. I was looking forward to updates on your GP, since I've really enjoyed the thread you started on the build of that car. Obviously though, life goes on, and there are other things that are priorities for you. I hope the summer isn't too hot. Good luck with the other builds. Looking forward to the return of the thread on your GP in the fall.

Thanks Jeff. The GP project should be pretty fun in the fall. One of the first things I will do is have a guy come out and re-do the headliner from burgundy to black. I'll have him do the sunvisors as well. Then most of the interior will go back in and I'm looking forward to seeing the black. Over the summer I'll save up so I can have the seats reupholstered. I have new foam for the buckets but will have an upholstery shop do the work and stich the covers. I haven't decided between cloth or leather but they will be black. Once the interior is back in the car, I'll jump back on buttoning up the mechanicals. I think it will be running for the Summer of 19. It feels good to say that. It's been sitting for 3-1/2 years already.

Y'all got more patience than me! I would have been smoking rubber by now... Sheerly from impatience!

If you are impatient then you must be determined. Your car has given you a bad time and you've worked through all of it and have it up and running. I commend you. I'm glad you didn't sell it.

hate t see the forward momentum come to a stop, but can understand about not wanting to deal with the heat. looking forward to progress on the other 2 projects, as they are every bit as meticulous as Donovan's, and love seeing the detail you guys apply to even the littlest things.

Thanks Darin. I appreciate it. I think I've pretty much covered the plan above so watch out for updates in the Galaxy thread. Sean and I are hoping to take the Camaro to some car shows while the weather is still nice. We might take it to one Saturday evening. If we do, I'll post some pics in his thread.

Hahaha. Spoken like a true Canadian, my friend. When the temperature is 85 and above (it's mid to high 90's here in June, July and August) and the dew point is in the high 60's or above, fans don't help that much. It feels like a wet hair dryer. Could I put a big fan on and power through? Absolutely. Would I enjoy it? Absolutely not. Why do it when I can help Dad in his garage with A/C? Don't get me wrong, Sean and I did a ton of the work on the Camaro in the blast furnace that is the Summer in Houston. It just seems like with each passing year I tolerate the heat less and less. I'd rather wait for better weather so I enjoy building my car rather than just get through it. I need an air conditioned shop.

I'm kinda large but I am already a fan.......:)

Thanks Steve. I really appreciate it.

Damn, I'll volunteer time to come down and help, we/you need to see this at Goodguys fall show the end of September.

That's real nice of you man. I appreciate it. The GP won't make that event but Maybe the Camaro and the Galaxie will.

Thanks for all of the support guys. It really does mean something.

Best,

Jared

Reactions: 5 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
The dash looks great. I myself used low luster clear. It helps in the sun and looks more oem.

It definitely a ton of work, but it paid off!

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The dash looks great. I myself used low luster clear. It helps in the sun and looks more oem.

It definitely a ton of work, but it paid off!
Thanks Jim. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the sun.

Jared,

I know it's August and not October, but have you gotten the itch to get back on the GP build. Dying for an update :p

Hutch

Hutch, thanks for the interest. I sure have enjoyed the updates on your build. No, I haven't done anything on the GP since probably March. It's just too hot. Dad has an air conditioned garage so I've been over there just about every Saturday this summer working on his car, the 62 Ford Galaxie. There is a thread on it for those interested in the non-G build threads section.

Best,

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks for the enthusiasm Hutch. Still working on the Galaxie. Hope to have the driver's side of the front end buttoned up today and then we'll turn it around and do the passenger side. I don't know if the GP will see me in October or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor