Speedo gear in transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fender868

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2017
Help guys!

My speedometer let go the other day and my thought was that the cable wasn't hooked up to the cluster but everything seems fine and spinning the plastic shaft behind the cluster winds up the speedoneter so I am confident that the cluster gauge is functioning. I was told that the gear might be at fault here so my question is, is there a quick way of checking or do I have to take apart the tail shaft housing? Also what is likely to break the gear on the shaft or the little plastic shaft gear that most likely attaches to the speedo cable?

If it helps my car is fitted with cruise control but it doesn't seem to be working. Most likely because my speedo wasn't working. Would the cruise control have anything to do with it?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What year is your car? Earlier cars had a box on the inner fender that the upper & lower speedo cables screwed into for the cruise to read the speed. Check that out if your has it.

Fender868

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2017
Mine is a 1980 and I definitely have that box. Are you saying that I should be checking there first? Also. My transmission is a th200.

Fender868

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2017
Right. So what should I be looking for? Should I just throw the car in neutral and watch to see if the cable moves while I push the car a bit? I'm clueless and my Haynes manual doesnt cover any of this

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Another way to check is to take the cable loose at the transmission and spin the cable with a drill and watch the speedo for movement. If the speedo works, the problem is in the trans. If it doesn't, then work your way upstream towards the speedo and check at the next connection. Either cable could be broken internally or it could be a broken speedometer driven gear or drive gear in the transmission. Come back with questions and let us know what you find.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor