Spotted a GNX in the Goodguys car corral

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
Didn't expect to run into one for sae at the goodguys show here in ft worth. Thought it might be a clone. Made a quick walk around video of it. I didn't think the price was outrageous seeing how nice it looked.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It looks like the real thing, I would think he has the paperwork to prove what it is and most GNX clones don't go to the trouble of putting in the GNX only rear suspension set up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
True that's why I endured the pain of getting down there to see if it had the gnx rear suspension. Heard that one just went for over 100k at BJ. With this one being half that price I thought it was a good deal.

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I think its been on Craigslist for a while. One way to tell a real GNX without crawling under it is look at rear wheels. 1) it should have aluminum brake drums and 2) the real wheels have more dish than a "front" GTA and GNX wheel offsets aren't reproduced.

Those are two little details that most close wouldn't have.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I think its been on Craigslist for a while. One way to tell a real GNX without crawling under it is look at rear wheels. 1) it should have aluminum brake drums and 2) the real wheels have more dish than a "front" GTA and GNX wheel offsets aren't reproduced.

Those are two little details that most close wouldn't have.

I would argue the flares are the most telltale signs of accuracy given the wheels/drums are easy to switch out.

Noting that the flare mods are also in repop and can be copied (just a PITA to do); the original flares are urethane not fibreglass.

Attachments

• GNX front flares.pdf
    45 KB · Views: 236
  • gnxprintfenderflairs.jpg
    gnxprintfenderflairs.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Rear Flare Info 2b.jpg
    Rear Flare Info 2b.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 224
  • yes.jpg
    yes.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 227

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Legend has it that if you peel off the GNX center cap sticker you'll see a Firebird emblem underneath.
Good way to get punched though too...

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016
I saw that on other sites. Looks like a good quality fairly priced driver car. 70k miles i believe on her?

surprised it didnt sell faster at that price with how high some of the low mile standard gn's have been selling for. id take that car over the 2 original mile gn any day.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
If the hood was opened you can look at the body plate on the driver side below the windshield and the letters GNX should be stamped on that plate. There are other hidden GNX stampings threw out the body, cant remember were getting old i would need to go threw a bunch of boxs of bulletins on buick and oldsmobile when i worked at the dealer. I think all GNX's came with aluminum bumper reinforcements, the ones that i worked on did.

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
I have found aluminum drums on gbodys, box caprices and 3rd gen fbodys in the wrecking yards. I think you can also find aluminum bumpers on other gbodys. My 1980 monte has them

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I seen that GNX at Good Guys too. Think it was 90-100k miles on it. In fact that's my fat *ss at the .30 sec mark in the black shirt lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor