Square body crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It's been a long morning! I went to his shop and he wasn't there so I hit a Wawa for a coffee and he showed up right when I got back. I started by washing some of the parts and while I was doing that 2 of his friends showed up and dove right in! I look up and one guy is honing the block another is cleaning ring lands and someone else is on his phone hunting up parts for FREE! Apparently he told them my work situation and what I'm trying to do and as it turns out the guy on the phone was in one of my bosses wedding parties and isn't friends with him anymore. I'm kind of emotional that people came together that I've never met before to help me like that I feel indebted but I'm good for it. They're all car guys and I'm the only body man in the bunch. So as it stands the cylinders all look good not perfect but good enough there was some very light pitting low in a couple of the boers that's still there but cast rings seat! The heads go to a machine shop Wednesday and Eric had the correct valve springs in stock. There's a guy I never met before putting together a complete serpentine belt setup with air conditioning for me somewhere tonight and another guy thinks he may have all nos tins for it I can have. some of the rings didn't want to come out of the Pistons because they were carbon stuck we were worried they were stuck from detonation and that the lands would be ruined. I got lucky and all 8 pistons and rods from that block are going back in it
IMG_20190721_124648302.jpg

If you look at the bottom of #8 that's the worst spot where it's discolored but you can't feel it.
IMG_20190721_124656090.jpg

As one of the guys said today F roadkill this should be documented as how to make 500hp out of a pile of absolute garbage that should have gone in a dumpster lol I left there and collected some money owed to me from that deal with the heads and bumper. And that's when I got a text from my boss to fuel my fire even more. I'm the lead body slave and only one other guy has seniority over me and because my boss can't order parts correctly I'm home tomorrow with no pay! Guess who is going to go shop to shop tomorrow morning.. that brings me to another order of business in this thread. All the guys I met today need work done by me and even some blasting. Well they had a meeting with the landlord (my old friend) and I and apparently after the motor goes in my truck the blasting rig is going there to be made fully operational and possibly get painted. They've already designated a spot on the property for me to do my blasting work. So as far as the business things are looking up the wife is making something that smells good and I'm hot and tired so I'll catch you guys later!

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It's been a long morning! I went to his shop and he wasn't there so I hit a Wawa for a coffee and he showed up right when I got back. I started by washing some of the parts and while I was doing that 2 of his friends showed up and dove right in! I look up and one guy is honing the block another is cleaning ring lands and someone else is on his phone hunting up parts for FREE! Apparently he told them my work situation and what I'm trying to do and as it turns out the guy on the phone was in one of my bosses wedding parties and isn't friends with him anymore. I'm kind of emotional that people came together that I've never met before to help me like that I feel indebted but I'm good for it. They're all car guys and I'm the only body man in the bunch. So as it stands the cylinders all look good not perfect but good enough there was some very light pitting low in a couple of the boers that's still there but cast rings seat! The heads go to a machine shop Wednesday and Eric had the correct valve springs in stock. There's a guy I never met before putting together a complete serpentine belt setup with air conditioning for me somewhere tonight and another guy thinks he may have all nos tins for it I can have. some of the rings didn't want to come out of the Pistons because they were carbon stuck we were worried they were stuck from detonation and that the lands would be ruined. I got lucky and all 8 pistons and rods from that block are going back in it View attachment 118839
If you look at the bottom of #8 that's the worst spot where it's discolored but you can't feel it.
View attachment 118840
As one of the guys said today F roadkill this should be documented as how to make 500hp out of a pile of absolute garbage that should have gone in a dumpster lol I left there and collected some money owed to me from that deal with the heads and bumper. And that's when I got a text from my boss to fuel my fire even more. I'm the lead body slave and only one other guy has seniority over me and because my boss can't order parts correctly I'm home tomorrow with no pay! Guess who is going to go shop to shop tomorrow morning.. that brings me to another order of business in this thread. All the guys I met today need work done by me and even some blasting. Well they had a meeting with the landlord (my old friend) and I and apparently after the motor goes in my truck the blasting rig is going there to be made fully operational and possibly get painted. They've already designated a spot on the property for me to do my blasting work. So as far as the business things are looking up the wife is making something that smells good and I'm hot and tired so I'll catch you guys later!
Thanks for that uplifting update Eric. That's got to be the best update I've read in a long time. I'm happy for you.

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Thanks for that uplifting update Eric. That's got to be the best update I've read in a long time. I'm happy for you.
Thanks what they and what Bruce did for me a few months back means more than I can put in words. I'm a bit choked up thinking about it life has always been a kind of fight for me one disaster after the next that I just struggle to overcome on my own so when people help me I don't forget it. Maybe someday in the near future I'll pull my sh*t together and it will get easier but for now I'll just bask in the good moments as they come. It feels really good to catch a break

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The guys and the commeraderie are what make this hobby and make this site. I love hearing stories like that.

• Agree

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
glad things are going mostly in the right direction, noone deserves the break more than you right now! looking forward to the forward progress!;)

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I tried to do a little more after dinner. I had the wife come out to the exterior body shop with me lol and we flipped the hood over on the horse. I plan on going out early in the morning before it gets hot and edge the hood and doors but do to a town ordinance I can't start the compressor until 8 so I'll go out 5:30-6:00 and get them ready by hand. I figure they will have all day to dry and I'll flip them and do the outside tomorrow night if all goes well.

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Really quick I need to know your thoughts before tomorrow night what do you guys think of white stripes on the hood big like a Chevelle or a body 442? I think I have some white base coat around here somewhere

Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
That's a good update! Here in Iowa that seems to be kind of the nature how people are. I used to help people like that all the time before I had kids and a wife. Now I don't socialize much any more. As for a guy like you, you would not have a hard time finding a job around here. Couple steps forward you are!

Reactions: 2 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Really quick I need to know your thoughts before tomorrow night what do you guys think of white stripes on the hood big like a Chevelle or a body 442? I think I have some white base coat around here somewhere
No stripes. Just green with white lettering.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor