Square body crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Well here in Jersey the big snow storm turned out to be rain overnight. I didn't get called so I'm headed in to work today like usual. I am going to drive the plow truck to test out the modifications see if it runs cooler. Maybe plow the body shop lot
We’re getting hit pretty good up here. Called my boss this am and he said no work today. First snow day for me in years. Hope the truck runs better for you.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
We’re getting hit pretty good up here. Called my boss this am and he said no work today. First snow day for me in years. Hope the truck runs better for you.

You're in the wrong business. They close base if it snows 2" here. The one time we got a foot it was 2 days and people lost their minds. God help us if we ever have to fight a war in the winter.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
So I drove it to work. The fan worked out good. My helper was a no show his scat pack couldn't do it or at least he couldn't. I plowed our hole complex then I fixed my bosses plow truck for him before going to my bay. My bay had no air so I wrapped up some bodywork my helper started and sent it up front for prime. Got a call from dispatch and headed out to plow. That truck is a bit sketchy plowing. I don't remember the last time I had it in four wheel drive but I think I should have remembered all the noises LoL it seems like the front did is moving side to side in it and when I'm turning right the front drive shaft is beating the hell out of the header. Still have a ground problem on the plow I think sometimes it won't angle sometimes it won't go up very intermittent. But it made some money and I think these were all existing problems but the only way to find them is to use it and see what it dose. I ended up plowing from 10:43-3:47. Drove back to the body shop couldn't find my boss so I just went home. Tomorrow it's back to normal.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Yesterday I took the truck to work. I wanted to address the running hot with the plow on. Even using the old keep it angled right and as low as you can she still creeps up way passed an acceptable temperature. So earlier this week I took some measurements with the old polish eyecrometer, did a little online shopping and bought a 10" electric fan and a temp switch kit. Yesterday I pulled the grill and radiator top plate cut loose the aftermarket trans cooler and installed the 10" fan on the driver's side of the condenser where I know there's no airflow with the plow on. I put the circuit breaker and relay on the left inner fender and tapped into the 12v power on the firewall where square body's have the 2 studs. It's wired on I ground switch thermostat sending unit thing I put in the intake. It's labeled 180-200 so I'm hoping it grounds at 180 and the fan comes on and cools it down or at least keeps it there. No time for testing supposed to get 4-8 today. I need to get my but out there and hook up the keyed power wire to the fuse block and put the plow back on I'm seeing snow flurries now. Sure wish I had time to get the radio working. View attachment 167725 View attachment 167724 View attachment 167723
I figured come spring I can meeting up the wiring when it's not 20° out and I'm putting my motor back in.
My dually had a factory small diameter (10-12") pusher fan offset on the front of the radiator. It was triggered off of a secondary temp sending unit in the pass side head. Not sure if it was a/c only or strictly temp related activation. When I did the re-fresh, I added a trans cooler that was the same style as the OE oil cooler I replaced. I located each cooler as far out as possible (L/R) on the cooling stack. This required moving the pusher so I relocated it in the bullseye of the assembly.

The fan would never come on even after trying different temp/sending units. Ultimately I put in a toggle switch so I could manually run the fan when sitting in traffic if I start seeing temps creep. Works decent to keep it around 200-210° max when tugging the trailer along in traffic.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Step 1: sell house in overcrowded overpriced jersey.

Step 2: take delivery from these guys - "Brand New" SquareBody

Step 3: move to a more rewarding and relaxing environment outside the rustbelt of doom, where difference between house value in jersey pays for step 2.

Step 4: enjoy life.

Sure, it's over simplified, and rigging the lottery may be easier. Hope you invested and got out of gamestop on time

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Time for another old school trick.

Take a boom box, run the seat belt strap through the handle, buckle it in and listen to cassette tapes.

My semi modern update to that fix in the 1990s was discman on the seat and pair of battery operated speakers tucked onto the corners of the dash.
Discman with headphone to rca jack cable to a 50 watt amp in a modified plastic console so it wont skip

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
How OLD are you guys? I had a Discman back in the day, but :wtf:
Is it bad if I say I have one of those wireless fm modulators you plug into a headphone jack that I use with a Walkman to play cassettes in my am/fm only car?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Is it bad if I say I have one of those wireless fm modulators you plug into a headphone jack that I use with a Walkman to play cassettes in my am/fm only car?

No, I think I have one somewhere too. It's only a sin if you still use it.

• Haha

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yes! I bet you all have smartphones. Sounds like Clutch got it right. I have a JBL Charge 3 for the garage and it is waterproof as long as it isn't plugged in. Perfect for scuba diving in a hot tub with fat gurls!

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor