Square body crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont u have a big welder on the back of that truck??
Yup still haven't had time to go over it tho but there's 3 working welders in the garage in front of the truck but I have nothing to Chase the threds with so I can't get the new pin in the hole if I did it would be welded in all ready. Hell I'd weld new threds in if I had the tap

Yup still haven't had time to go over it tho but there's 3 working welders in the garage in front of the truck but I have nothing to Chase the threds with so I can't get the new pin in the hole if I did it would be welded in all ready. Hell I'd weld new threds in if I had the tap
Oh and it's raining. My boss said he's going to give me and my bottles a ride to get gas at 10:00 after that I may go buy a pop up tent if the wife let's me use her car again. I ticked her off last night when I said it was girly and I don't like driving it

Back with gas no tap to be had. I guess I'll call around and try to find a tool and die place or something of that nature on Monday. I've decided to not make myself miserable working on it in the rain today so I'm throwing in the towel for now. I plan on looking online for the best solution. Absolute worst case scenario it's 1700 bucks for a 410 High pinion Chevy 1 ton dual wheel Dana 60 I don't have it tho so we'll see what I can come up with

Okay so I've been doing my homework. That hole is 1 1/8" 12 teeth per inch so I just ordered a tap on Ebay. Most Taps that size are about $75 but I just did a Buy It Now on eBay for $19. A Helicoil kit that size is 275 to 400 bucks for the kit so I'm not going to take that option, the other thing I found out it's those kingpins are supposed to be torqued to 600 foot pounds and that's probably why the threads pull out of the cast iron knuckle. I think it's a little ridiculous so my theory rather than welding it in I'm going to retap the hole when I get my tap that I just ordered on eBay and use J-B Weld as thread compound lock it down let it Harden put it together and see what happens worst case scenario I can always Slide the axle out and weld the Kingpin to The Knuckle from the bottom with a 99 nickel Rod after I ditch it out only problem with that is I've also seen horror stories of microfractures from the welding of the Kingpin breaking the knuckle off the axle tube later down the road but this is not an off-road vehicle like those and really I only drive on pavement this is Jersey.

Reactions: TURNA
There's a company called Reid Racing that makes new inner "C" 's for Dana 60s. Unfortunately you would have to cut the old one off and set the caster and weld a new one on place.
Thanks I just found that those inner Cs are like $275. Each I think I can come up with an easier fix

So here's the fix I'm planning. Tap the damaged hole with the tap I just ordered
Screenshot_20180128-190047.png

Then heat the cast iron to 8 or 900° and put some weld in the hole we're there's no threds grind Rheem tap and repeat. When there's enough thred to use I'll put the new pin in with JB Weld. Until then I'm hitchhiking

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor