Square body crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying guys the tap came last night so did the rods. So far I ran the tap threw up from the bottom and I then found that only half the whole had enough meat for Threads so I heated it to to ab to about 900 Degrees and made my first Cast Iron Welding attempt. Did some practice welds on Old rotor not too bad not too great either these ni99
15176776420051404849085.jpg
rods are very difficult to work with. I may be here all day.
1517677033177308356445.jpg
15176771092981619499432.jpg
15176771649591109550960.jpg

I figured I'd show you some of the stuff I'm using while I'm waiting for the weld to cool down in the cast cool down apparently when you weld cast iron you heat it and then you have to let it cool slowly so I have it wrapped in an old welding blanket and I'm just waiting.
1517677280072844128335.jpg

Quick time lapse the weld looks like bird poop it's not penetrating as much as I'd like it to and the slag is sticking in areas I did not want it to I'm kind of making a mess but but I'm sure I'll get this
15176776420051404849085.jpg

Like I said it looks horrible but it's a first attempt I'll get this

Reactions: Texas82GP
Is becoming an inner-C again, man this is a lot of work I'm wondering and I'm hoping you guys can get back to me before my wife gets back from the salon and I borrow her car I've got it almost there perhaps I should just J-B Weld the the the new Kingpin in and let it set overnight do you think it'll hold the holes around again but it's ugly and I think a an epoxy wood fill in all the crevices how strong is that stuff?
15176786765821876809223.jpg
Also the new Kingpin actually threads in and sits flush now
15176788064642052265196.jpg

• Winner
Could you secure it with JB Weld, then drill through both pieces and secure them with a roll pin?

If the thing will thread into the bottom a little bit. I would screw it in and weld the top and call it a day. If the yoke is welded to the axel tube? It has to be cast steel, not cast iron. So a weld should hold. Or you could weld the hole up some. Take a diegrinder burr nock it down a little, and rethread it.

Reactions: Clutch
Well it's in I welded the whole I retaped it and then I glued it in with J-B Weld cuz I had threads all the way to the top.
IMG_20180203_142646993.jpg
IMG_20180203_142657640.jpg

I covered the threads and JB Weld locked down tight it is what it is. You can see in the second picture that I smeared the excess J-B Weld around on the bottom just for a little extra insurance.

After conquering the kingpin disaster today I moved on to one of the original problems. Inner axle seals. This brought me to the next hurdle I don't have a housing spreader and the center won't come out. First thing tomorrow I'll be building one out of scrap metal and my porta power. I didn't want to do it tonight so I moved on to removing the lower pins and caps from the spindles the drivers side was very easy because it was off the trunk I just used some heat from the torch and my trusty porta power the passenger side was still hanging on the inner-C so I had to wrestle it out with the torch a hammer and 2 pry bars. By that time it was cold enough to keep meat outside and I had enough so I threw a bunch of parts in a bucket of degreaser and called it a night. I'll get you some more pictures in the morning with another update. But all and all I think I did good today not quite where I wanted to be but making progress for shore

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor