Square body crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Milestone today drove the truck all the way to wall picked up all the steel to reinforce the right side cabinet to put my crane on it and picked up all the steel to build the blasting rig. Unfortunately I've got to split the day with family time and I've got to go move my car is up in Old Bridge so she's going to have another long Voyage today after lunch towing a trailer up to old bridge and moving the cars and I still don't know where I'm going to put my 87 Cutlass

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Yesterday this project went completely backwards!
First it gets hot on the way to old bridge to move my cars. It didn't happen all at once the temperature creeped up slow like like it was cooling but not enough I even pulled over and retard the timing to stop the detonation
11605.jpeg

Shortly after I ended up in a parking lot waiting for it to cool down. When I got where I was going I drained the radiator. That's when I noticed the brand new antifreeze had turned to something I can only describe as mud. Remember when I bought it he told me it was a fresh built motor. Don't think so! So anyway I removed the thermostat and filled it with new antifreeze. Then for a road test I loaded up my parts car (after I put 4 tires on it) and headed over to the asphalt yard where it's getting stored it's only about a 5 mile run but it did ok on the way to spite being a slug having the timing retard. On the way back from the yard however I had a new problem
11633.jpeg
btw my cousin Tanner barrowed my Jack and never gave it back so I had to do it with an oe jack that I have no handle for oh and it was sezed! I got it to work tho and put the only spair I have on the truck and antique 7.50 16 super highway king from the 60s with tube. It got me rolling tho so when I got back to where my car was I used a real jack toswap the right rear to the right front and put that square antique bias-ply on the back so I could vibrate my way home. With no thermostat it didn't get hot going home but the radio died.

Attachments

• 11633.jpeg
    11633.jpeg
    845.9 KB · Views: 117

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I haven't updated in a while because well I just haven't had time. I'm still battling the hot running issue even with no thermostat. Because my coolant keeps turning into mud I think whatever this motor was in before the truck had leak issues and someone went barsleak nuts! So I'm hoping one of you can recommend a good flush solvant so I can eliminate that problem. I've kinda moved on to outfitting the truck because quiting my job can't come soon enough! One of my problems is organizing the truck so today I started cutting holes with my plasma cutter running it off of the 240 on the welder. Works great! Here's what I did
The backs of the boxes have an instep I don't need for clearance so in the front box I cut it out
IMG_20180624_140119679_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180624_140126846.jpg
IMG_20180624_140131811.jpg
You may be wondering why I would make a big hole in my truck where nothing was wrong but it's so I can put in a tool box I picked up and get organized!!!
IMG_20180624_140243776.jpg
Once that install is done I'll get back to the reinforcing of the rear box I all ready started
IMG_20180624_140150144_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180624_144352.jpg
so there's still lots going on I'm going back out now and build some framework to close up that hole I should have enough scrap laying around here to do it bed frames and sutch

Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well that's it I'm done with it all I'm ready to stack all 4 Oldsmobiles the truck and all the equipment in a pile and light them on fire! I was cutting steel for the hole in the box with the plasma cutter and I heard a loud pop Sparks shot out of the back of the genset in front of the motor and that was it no more power I'm done

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Retarded timing makes them run warm.

And flush that thing. Roadside cooldowns and repairs suck.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Glad to see you're still getting stuff done on it. Sucks about the overheating problems. The only time I ever had an issue with plugged up coolant passages was on my Suburban and all I did was run a bottle of Prestone flush from Walmart through it and then used a Prestone flush and fill kit after a week or so of driving it. It seemed to work IIRC. Sorry I don't have any more useful advice.

I can wait to see the utility body when it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor