Squealing When in Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Full Garage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Forgot to mention that the shaft rotation was counter-clockwise looking at the input shaft. I'll run the test in the other direction tomorrow. If anything is different I'll post a video of that test.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Take a picture of the old arm, the side that faces the clutch and flywheel.

Full Garage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Elcam, attached are 2 pictures, one of the original fork and,
20230103_211621.jpg
20230103_211641.jpg
one of the new fork.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Turning it by hand, as I mentioned, you'd know. Moving the Fork you've changed the noise, Clutch Disc floats on splines so absolutely impossible to put a compression load on any of the bearings in the Transmission. Pilot Bearing isn't too tight because you would have noticed that upon installing it.

You moved the fork by hand and got the noise to change, so it's in that area. Overthinking it going to the Transmission itself but that's my thoughts...

Full Garage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Built6spdMCSS, I think you see that I am trying to eliminate as many variables as possible. I had doubts about the transmission, now that's no longer a question. I tested the throw out bearing by itself, and got no squeal, so another item off of the list. I am now wondering if the clutch fork springs are contributing to a misalignment of the throw out bearing (?) and causing a squeal. I noticed circular wear marks on the finger-side surface of the new throw out bearing, which interestingly enough the last T.O. bearing has as well (new one is the top bearing).
20230103_163448.jpg
These wear mark have no depth to them, but are they the result of something wrong? If i can get this resolved to my satisfaction, I'll put together again and set the clutch release point according to the manual. Thanks again for your input.

Full Garage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Elcam - here you go
20230104_124405.jpg

I couldn't get the spring to bend enough to tighten the fit on the pivot ball, so I removed the rivet and put in a 5mm x 0.80 screw with a nylock nut.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Should have been more clear, The complete back side of the old arm.

Like the mod you did on the new one. Looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor