Stainless steel brake lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CruizinKev

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2007
OVERSEAS/GERMANY
www.cruizinkev.com
I'm looking for a full brake line set for my monte carlo 79 and found that stainless steel kit:

"Dixie Monte Carlo Depot 78-80 Full Brake Line Set (7pcs)"

But since I'm overseas I can't buy that oversized package to get them shipped..

Anyways now it looks like I have to make it on my own. What sizes of brake lines I need? And where to get all the right fittings? Or maybe its possible I can buy "parts" of the full brake line kit. I think the brake line from front to the back makes the box that big.

my frame needs brake lines 😉

IMAG0250.jpg

help! 🙂

Here is an example of what is available to make your own. I know they're not stainless, but I used this company and made all my lines up custom, it's not even expensive. Be aware that double-flaring is harder to do right on stainless, and these type lines are a cinch to bend up and flare and they also sell the proper unions, don't use compression fittings! http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=2630 Wether you find stainless or not, shipping shouldn't be bad either.

Unless your dead set on SS lines you might want to look a cunifer brake lines. Easy enough to bend with you hands and will never corrode. It was actually used in Europe and only made it way over here a few years ago. The only problem I encountered was making the double flares. The material is softer than the common steel lines so it took a bit of practice to get the right pressure to hole the line without scoring it.

pontiacgp said:
Unless your dead set on SS lines you might want to look a cunifer brake lines. Easy enough to bend with you hands and will never corrode. It was actually used in Europe and only made it way over here a few years ago. The only problem I encountered was making the double flares. The material is softer than the common steel lines so it took a bit of practice to get the right pressure to hole the line without scoring it.

I've been using cupro nickel for replacing brake lines (and fuel lines) for longer than I care to remember as have nearly all mechanics in Europe.

It costs about £18 ($30) for a 10 meter roll and there are various flaring tools available costing from £20 for a DIY mechanics kit to around £200 for a professional workshop tool.

I'm surprised it hasn't caught on in the USA until recently.

Roger.

You're welcome Doug. I liked that they were so cheap I was not afraid to get creative especially where they lines snake over the frame above the rear axle. You know they installed them without the body on, so it's almost impossible to get the lines in exactly the same. The OP has the body off so he's got it made. Plus when you buy a tube of lines you tend to do ALL the lines, gas too.

rustyroger said:
I've been using cupro nickel for replacing brake lines (and fuel lines) for longer than I care to remember as have nearly all mechanics in Europe.

It costs about £18 ($30) for a 10 meter roll and there are various flaring tools available costing from £20 for a DIY mechanics kit to around £200 for a professional workshop tool.

I'm surprised it hasn't caught on in the USA until recently.

Roger.
Thanks Roger! oh yeah I've been looking for these "cunifer" brake lines for a while but wasn't sure if I should get them. now guess what i ordered just few mins ago :mrgreen: :wink:

I also need a new proportion valve (disc/disc). found one here on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310401105524

what do you guys think it'll fit??

Where are you located?, there are members of this forum all over the world. If you are in the Uk I can make your pipes for you.

Roger.

Guten tag! Are you over there defending our freedom or just inhaling the best beer in the world? :mrgreen: I myself vacationed with the 1st AD in Nurnburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor