stall converter's

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstClass 383

Master Mechanic
Feb 8, 2013
I am going to to some up grades on the cutty this winter, i want to put in a 3000 stall but i don't know of any good places to call, don't want to get some off the wall stall from advance or auto zone , , i only drive it in the summer / weekends and then maybe a few times a month, and take it to the track maybe 5-7 times over the summer,
so any help would be greatly appreciated.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
I would call Coan and get there recomendation. They are a supporting vendor over at maliburacing.com

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Whats your bulid? When choosing a converter you really need one that matches your cam

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
jacobdavis1979 said:
Whats your bulid? When choosing a converter you really need one that matches your cam

Which is a good reason to call TCI about a converter. Being owned by Comp Cams the tie-in with cam specs is well understood over there.

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
mebe007 said:
I would call Coan and get there recomendation. They are a supporting vendor over at maliburacing.com

I have a Coan and love it. They make a 11" version that has a high stall for strip when driven hard but works well like a normal converter when driven nice on the street.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
PTC is a good choice as well. Kenny is an ex-TCI guy who definitely knows his stuff.

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
I got one better. See If you can find a switch pitch. It allows you to have two stall speeds. They make them for the GN when the guys put a th400 trans in the car. Then you have normal driving without having a high stall all the time. Makes the car more fun to drive on the street by the way.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
I have a factory switch-pitch in my GS. It's neat and all but it's really a precursor to the lock-up converter which is actually better in that you can go from say 3000-3500 rpm stall speed to 100% efficiency when activating lock-up. The switch-pitch stuff is kind obscure these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor