Starter/Alternator Wire Question Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Remember there is a specific length for a fusible link. As I recall no longer then 6"

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Started to do the wiring today. Some questions. This is the way its wired now. Dont mind the crappy diagram. I dont know why theres a junction with the 4 wires. Is that the normal way its done ? It seems kinda strange. Why not just do away with that and run the wires right to the starter and bulkhead connection ? Should the red 12GA wire in the double plug go to the bulkhead along with the brown wire ? OR does it go to the starter ?

Attachments

• IMG_2036 (002).JPG
    IMG_2036 (002).JPG
    426.4 KB · Views: 251

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
2 red 12ga wires should come from bulkhead to starter. starter in our cars was original junction. so 12ga from ac relay and one of two 12ga from bulkhead should be factory spliced near starter. realistically the alternator charging wire, 12ga for headlights, main fuse panel and ac relay all got attached directly to starter onto the main starter feed from battery. brown wire goes to alternator as exciting wire. mine on v6 cutlass went to choke relay first. not sure i understand what u mean by double plug?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Started to do the wiring today. Some questions. This is the way its wired now. Dont mind the crappy diagram. I dont know why theres a junction with the 4 wires. Is that the normal way its done ? It seems kinda strange. Why not just do away with that and run the wires right to the starter and bulkhead connection ? Should the red 12GA wire in the double plug go to the bulkhead along with the brown wire ? OR does it go to the starter ?

You left out the red 12 Ga to the HVAC connector that comes out of the lead with the splice

The OE manuals are cheap and a major help on stuff like this

The 2 red wires from the bulkhead connector are designated as A and B

A is a 5 (6 on 305 cars) wire splice (S201) that has 2 leads to the generator, one to the HVAC connector (C127), one to the inition switch through bulkhead connector (C100), and to the starter via fuse link

B is the single conductor from C100 to the starter through the fuse link.

As found on my hacked 81 harness, the wires on Fuse link A are actually spliced in 2 locations, with S201 (4 wires) being a couple feet from the starter terminal, and another wire at S305, which is the splice at the fuse link. The diagram indicates that this wire essentially a loop back to S201 (2 loops on 305 cars)

I did not pull the harness out of the wagon to check it, but I believe it would be the same, as both cars are 1981 267 A/C cars

It's a pretty strange setup, that's for sure

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/ChargeCircuit.jpg

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/LightSwitch.jpg

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You left out the red 12 Ga to the HVAC connector that comes out of the lead with the splice

The OE manuals are cheap and a major help on stuff like this

The 2 red wires from the bulkhead connector are designated as A and B

A is a 5 (6 on 305 cars) wire splice (S201) that has 2 leads to the generator, one to the HVAC connector (C127), one to the inition switch through bulkhead connector (C100), and to the starter via fuse link

B is the single conductor from C100 to the starter through the fuse link.

As found on my hacked 81 harness, the wires on Fuse link A are actually spliced in 2 locations, with S201 (4 wires) being a couple feet from the starter terminal, and another wire at S305, which is the splice at the fuse link. The diagram indicates that this wire essentially a loop back to S201 (2 loops on 305 cars)

I did not pull the harness out of the wagon to check it, but I believe it would be the same, as both cars are 1981 267 A/C cars

It's a pretty strange setup, that's for sure

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/ChargeCircuit.jpg

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/LightSwitch.jpg

Brian, I only have 4 wires on the splice due to the fact I went from an AC setup to heat only. From what you described it looks like I have the wires in the right place. Both of the 12GA red wires that come off the alternator go to the splice. From the splice, one goes to the bulkhead, the other goes to the starter and has a fusible link. The other 12GA red wire coming from the bulkhead also has a fusible link and goes to the starter. Its actually mated with the other wire with the fusible link from the alternator using a single ring terminal that goes on the threaded post. The purple 12GA wire from the bulkhead (ignition switch ) goes to the other small post on the starter. Brown 16GA wire from the alternator (exciter) goes to the bulkhead.
Sound right ?
I hate trying to read wiring schematics. I think its actually easier for me to almost start from scratch but wiring definitely isnt one of my strong points.
I appreciate your help !!

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
2 red 12ga wires should come from bulkhead to starter. starter in our cars was original junction. so 12ga from ac relay and one of two 12ga from bulkhead should be factory spliced near starter. realistically the alternator charging wire, 12ga for headlights, main fuse panel and ac relay all got attached directly to starter onto the main starter feed from battery. brown wire goes to alternator as exciting wire. mine on v6 cutlass went to choke relay first. not sure i understand what u mean by double plug?

Thanks !! This stuffs making me nuts !!!!

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
One more question for you guys ! Someone on MR on FB said the splice has to be close to where it was from the factory. It has to do with voltage drop and the alternator charging correctly. Make sense ?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Sounds like you should be good as wired.

As far as location, if the splice is a good, secure, crimped and soldered splice as original, i can't see why location would matter, but I'm not an electrician

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Sounds like you should be good as wired.

As far as location, if the splice is a good, secure, crimped and soldered splice as original, i can't see why location would matter, but I'm not an electrician

As I said Im not great at wiring but when I do it I try to be very anal. Crimped, soldered, and marine grade shrink tubing. Ive been using tinned copper butt connectors. When I finish I'll post some photos.
Thanks again for the info !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor