Starter/Alternator Wire Question Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
wait did u say you dont have a 12ga red for blower resistor? both ac and heat only cars still need this as far as i knew

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
wait did u say you dont have a 12ga red for blower resistor? both ac and heat only cars still need this as far as i knew

Heat-only cars don't use a blower relay, just the switch and resistor.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY

From what I remember the power for the heater comes through from inside the car in the harness on the right side. I might be wrong though. Its been a long time.

BTW, I spent a few hours today trying to find 12GA wire in purple for the wire to the starter. Couldnt find any in any of the auto parts or marine supplies but a friend of mine thinks he has a roll in his garage. Hes going to find it tomorrow. Its amazing how something so minor can hold up finishing a project.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I do not know to be honest. I just assumed heat only still used blower relay.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
12GA wire in purple for the wire to the starter.
I'd go 10; you're begging for problems. What's wrong with the old wire? That Packard wire is extremely sturdy stuff; just clean up the ends as long as it's not damaged in the middle. I don't understand your aversion to making it better than factory. It will be in split loom; the MCACN judges aren't opening your wire harness.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I'd go 10; you're begging for problems. What's wrong with the old wire? That Packard wire is extremely sturdy stuff; just clean up the ends as long as it's not damaged in the middle. I don't understand your aversion to making it better than factory. It will be in split loom; the MCACN judges aren't opening your wire harness.

I would use 10 but isnt the original stuff 12 ? To be honest the wires in good shape but I just thought while I was doing all this I would just replace that one too. I could leave the ring terminal on, cut it at the bulkhead and leave it alone. It just needs to be shortened up due to the smaller starter.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
how much too long is the wire due to the smaller starter? If the starter is smaller then do the wires not have to travel a further to connect to the solenoid?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
how much too long is the wire due to the smaller starter? If the starter is smaller then do the wires not have to travel a further to connect to the solenoid?

Full size to the smaller GM starter. My original plan was to cut it at the bulkhead and crimp on a new Packard 59 terminal leaving the original long ring terminal at the starter. It might be the way its getting done guys. I cant find any purple wire anyplace local. 10 or 12 just isnt sold around here. My buddy couldnt find the roll he thought he had.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That doesn't answer my question. Lots of guys in here have gone to the small GM starter or an aftermarket high torque starter and they have never had to shorten the wires going to the starter, if fact no one ever mentioned the wire.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor