Starter/Alternator Wire Question Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
That doesn't answer my question. Lots of guys in here have gone to the small GM starter or an aftermarket high torque starter and they have never had to shorten the wires going to the starter, if fact no one ever mentioned the wire.

Okay. The answer is the wires are much longer than needed. At least 6-8 inches. I ran the wires through split loom from the bulkhead connector down towards the starter. The loom stops about 2" past a factory loom clamp thats attached to a transmission bolt. I tried to stuff the excess wire up into the loom and it was a pain in the *ss. It kept popping the split loom open. Of course I could zip tie it tight or wrap it with tape but not the way I would do things. Its just as easy to cut it at the bulkhead, pull it back where I want it and crimp on a new terminal. I have a stock of Packard 56 and 59 terminals. I also have the crimper used to make factory crimps.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
so the difference in the postion of the studs on the solenoid on a mini starter and a regular starter is at least 6-8 inches?......:unsure:

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
so the difference in the postion of the studs on the solenoid on a mini starter and a regular starter is at least 6-8 inches?......:unsure:

I didnt say that did I ? I said the wires are about 6-8" longer than they need to be. Maybe theyre 5-6". I never got under there to take an exact measurement. Either way, theyre too long. Maybe its the way I routed them out of the bulkhead connector. Maybe its the way I ran them behind the head. Maybe its a combination of all of that. Holy sh*t, you going to make a snarky comment about everything I post ? LOL

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I didnt say that did I ? I said the wires are about 6-8" longer than they need to be. Maybe theyre 5-6". I never got under there to take an exact measurement. Either way, theyre too long. Maybe its the way I routed them out of the bulkhead connector. Maybe its the way I ran them behind the head. Maybe its a combination of all of that. Holy sh*t, you going to make a snarky comment about everything I post ? LOL

nothing snarky, I am just asking you about what you are posting

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
d73.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Did you eliminate the horrendous split loom "T"s? The ones on mine are pretty bulky and ugly, not sure why they didn't just tape wrap the T like they do now.

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
pine city/rosaila washington
Factory correct would be 12, but I'd use fine strand 10 or even 8. Fun fact: electrons flow around the outside of the conductor, so the more strands, more surface area, and more of those happy electrons buzzing along.
if the power flows around the outside of the wires why have all copper wires. just throwing that out to stir the pot. depends on what branch of the military you were in lol.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
if the power flows around the outside of the wires why have all copper wires. just throwing that out to stir the pot. depends on what branch of the military you were in lol.
Not wire- conductor .... a solid sore, single strand (house wire) doesn't have as much (interior- under the insulation) surface area as the same gauge fine strand wire. Basic electrical theory: more voltage requires less amperage. So, for a simple analogy, your car wires need to carry 10x the load of your house wires (12v x 10= 120). Of course, the load also differs between AC & DC, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor