Starter/Alternator Wire Question Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I posted this in a thread back in the Spring. Ive been using marine wire for a long time. Worth posting again.

This is from an ad for Ancor wire. I buy all of my wire from the local marine supply. Its not much more money. I started using it years ago when I saw it used at my old job.

Sophisticated marine electronics and instruments only operate at peak potential when supplied with power at the right voltage, which necessitates high-quality wire like Ancor's Primary Wire. Ordinary automotive-type wire can suffer a loss of conductivity after a few months in the marine environment. Corrosion takes place, and corrodes the copper conductor, when the wire’s jacket and insulation are compromised by water intrusion. Marine-grade wire from Ancor is rated for oily and wet environments because its jacket is impervious to those conditions. Each strand has a tin coating for extra corrosion resistance (note the “silver” look when you strip it).

Vibration is always present on a boat, and will quickly fatigue and crack coarsely stranded wire. Ancor wire is Type 3 stranded, meaning that it has 5-10 times more copper strands than Type 2 wire, making it more flexible and fatigue resistant. It is constructed with premium vinyl insulation that is rated at 600 volts, 221°F (105°C) dry and 167°F (75°C) wet. It is also Marine UL-listed, and meets the highest ABYC standards for AC and DC use. Finally, it is based on AWG (American Wire Gauge) wire sizes, which are 6-12% larger than SAE gauge wire. So you get more current-carrying ability than from similar SAE wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor