Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The last thing I was to do is blow the turbo
pull the pink wire from the distributor
he said it was a T type, that is a different package than the turbo edition[/QUOTE

Since you are a long time, respected member of this forum, I'll be as nice as I can. If you want to get all technical, I will agree that there were other Buick models that received the T Type badge, that were not " Turbocharged" , but this gentleman plainly stated in his post #1 that the car was turbocharged. You plainly stated in post #3 ( incorrectly - i must say ) that his car had a distributor. You were corrected in post #6, but did not retract that statement. I own a Buick turbo car, I think I know what I'm talking about. Did I research it enough for you?? Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Now let's keep this thread on topic, for the sake of the original poster, so he can see we are here to help, and not supply incorrect information.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

your right he did say turbo in the post so it's a Turbo-T Regal which is almost as rare as GTX. The T is the package regarding the transmission and rear end and something else I have forgotten but it doesn't stand for turbo. The Regal T type was first introduced in 1982 and it came with a naturally aspirated engine.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I assume you meant GNX, instead of "GTX" ( which is a Mopar branded package ). ALL 1987 Buick Regal Turbocharged models - T Type / Turbo T / GN / GNX ( whatever YOU want to call them ) received the same 3.8L Turbocharged engine, 2004R Transmission, and 8.5" Rear axle. These cars came with an advertised 245HP, and 355FT/LB. The GNX was the exception, and came with an advertised 276HP, and 360FT/LB.

87_TX_T-type

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2016
Wow guys! Great information. I'm probably going to be moving the car back to Dallas this coming week. I'll take some pictures, and post them later.

... And "yes" it is the turbo hence T-Type. It is a blue-green color exterior with a blue interior.

What is the best way to turn this engine over by hand?

Once I have everything re-lubricated I want to:
1) Turn it over by hand a couple of times
2) Bump it with the starter with the ECU UNplugged and the fuel pump fuse pulled
3) Plug everything back in, and run the car at idle until at operating temp
4) Finally take a low speed test drive

Also, are there any particular vac lines I should check? I presume there will be some obvious ones, but I'm more concerned about the ones that are not easy to find.

I'll keep everyone updated on the progress, and hopefully put some pictures up soon.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Don't forget to look at any rubber fuel lines. You may just want to replace them. Unless if they are pretty modern, the Ethanol will break them down. At the least, keep a close eye on them.

It is generally not recommended to turn the engine by the balancer bolt, though that is how my dad taught me back in the day. For sure, do it with all the plugs out to make it easier. I recently turned my SBC which is on the stand (balancer in but no pulley) by threading a few bolts from my balencer removal kit into the balancer (opposing each other) and then carefully used a jack handle to turn the engine. That might not be feasible with the engine in the car. Another idea is to drop the starter and use the 'chisel' end of a tire iron in the flywheel teeth to turn it.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
I assume you meant GNX, instead of "GTX" ( which is a Mopar branded package ). ALL 1987 Buick Regal Turbocharged models - T Type / Turbo T / GN / GNX ( whatever YOU want to call them ) received the same 3.8L Turbocharged engine, 2004R Transmission, and 8.5" Rear axle. These cars came with an advertised 245HP, and 355FT/LB. The GNX was the exception, and came with an advertised 276HP, and 360FT/LB.
Gtx was also a later 90s gm dealer package on pontiacs

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor