steel ground effects/extended rockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
As far as witness lines or ghostshadowing as I call it , that it always a concern with any joint, EVEN lapping metal& welding or filling a license plate hole against the recess instead of cutting & butt welding.

The thing that is in my favor here is that the joint is at an intersecting angle (approx 45 degrees) as opposed to a joint running across a flush panel. It will look like a line anyways, so hopefully it'll be extremely minimal. I planned on using USC all metal filler at the joint to smooth the transition as opposed to lite body filler.My local supplier was out, but I'll probably wait or order some foe the extra peace of mind.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Here's a view of mock up of the rear section.

DSC00680.jpg

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Here's a daytime pic with my new(used) wheels I picked up at Daytona this weekend for $700. They are panther 18 by 8'5 with bfg g-force 245/55/zr18s in rear & 235s in front. Yall like???
Not mounted in pic, that's why it's a far away shot. :rofl:
DSC00693.jpg

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
damn dude that looks sick! i was wanting to do something with sheet metal but weld it on and smooth it out with the body so it looks factory but damn that looks really good!

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
1979ratrod said:
damn dude that looks sick! i was wanting to do something with sheet metal but weld it on and smooth it out with the body so it looks factory but damn that looks really good!
Thanks man, but in case you missed what I wrote, it will be smooth like a factory design. Most I will bond with adhesive &smooth over with all metal filler, but the rear behind the tail light I might tack weld a little at a time so I can better mold it in to the rear hump area without worrying about ghost shadowing. Right now they are temporarily screwed on to the passenger side.

I actually simplified my original design of incorporating the trademark new camaro cokebottle look to something that others could follow, rather than being scared off from even trying.This is my first internet post of trying to lay out one of my projects so that others can either duplicate OR slightly modify to suit their tastes. My design widens the bottom significantly to blend with the camaro nose, but others may not want to go as wide.

Two main features are a plus with my profile design. The rocker is extended lower to the ground than even the fiberglass ground effects, but some of the distance is gained in the lower door panel, which cheats the eye by not seeing a tall & obviously extended rocker. 2nd is designing the front door to fender area to clear when opening without having a chopped off end like many lower body designs.Basically I just explained WHY it looks as good as it does. Also I tightened the wheel openings, which can be a personal preference choice, I like them tighter.

I intend to better lay out the details & profile & help anyone wanting to do their own. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor