Steel vs metal wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
i know car companies have been using aluminum alloy wheels. I took it as a set of welds or such. etc...

i believe it says not for street use. i might be mistaken. ill have to look on mine again. it might be for the fronts.

either way I still use them

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
GhettoRacingKid said:
i know car companies have been using aluminum alloy wheels. I took it as a set of welds or such. etc...

i believe it says not for street use. i might be mistaken. ill have to look on mine again. it might be for the fronts.

you will never find a circle car with aluminum wheels. Steel wheels will bend if you bounce off the wall or someone else and you can keep on racing, an aluminum wheel breaks and your done

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
GhettoRacingKid said:

If it does then it's because they are so skinny that they wouldn't be safe not necessarily because they were made from aluminum.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
A freind ran 107 mph in the quarter consistently with a set of lightweight steel wheels. If i had to guess id say they were 30lbs wheels and tires. Not a great tune.

The same car changed to 17" cragar D wheels. Ifi had to guess, id say 50+ lbs wheels and tires.

With alot of tuning he got to 105mph, but usually 103 or 104.

He now has a set of prostars and slicks, and i expect the car to go 110 with the tune dialed in.

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
Light wheels = better et's like others have said. I have used and friends have used rims that were used for drag racing and dot/street approved but you can damage the wheel easier. We had rim damage with out hitting anything as the roads can be less than perfect pot holes etc. We had to replace one small skinny rim up front and the company would not waranty the rim. Others I have talked to have had problems with there race/street front rims, but the way I look at it you know going in that you could have problems with a light skinny front rim on the street. I will have alum wheels on my car when it is done but they won't be drag/street rims. Not becuase I'm afraid of rim damage but becuase the rims I like are more a street rim than a drag rim.I will add that on a work truck I like steel wheels, they just stand up better to poor road conditions.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Aluminum rims act like a heat sink for the brakes which makes the brakes last longer than with steel rims.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
FE3X CLONE said:
GhettoRacingKid said:

If it does then it's because they are so skinny that they wouldn't be safe not necessarily because they were made from aluminum.

I forgot to look at the wheels. Its not because of the aluminum, its because of the construction.

my fronts are prostars 15x3.5 and rears are 15x8 and a set of 15x10

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor