Steering Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
I will try to post some pictures not a good computer guy but they popped the door cylinder put a hole in the door all on the drivers side then broke off the tilt and turn signal switches smashed the left hand side of the steering column and tried to start it but I have an immobilizer so it would not start

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I will try to post some pictures not a good computer guy but they popped the door cylinder put a hole in the door all on the drivers side then broke off the tilt and turn signal switches smashed the left hand side of the steering column and tried to start it but I have an immobilizer so it would not start
Sounds like fairly easy repair. Smashing the housing on the left side exposes the actuator, then they can move the rod that actuates the starter switch. The kit is not difficult to install, just take your time. You will need the steering wheel puller, but a three-bolt harmonic balancer puller will work just fine. I think the bolts needed are 2.5 or 3 inch 5/16 course thread.

You will also need the spring compressor that is designed for the steering column. Not sure what you have for parts stores, but Auto Zone and O'Reilly's have the kit to rent. You pay the deposit and when you return it you get the deposit back. Lisle Tools have the tools salable for this repair. All the parts you need are available and you can reinstall the key cylinder you already have. You remove yours; Old --> New and it is an easy swap.

Other than some body repair to the door, praise God and good call on getting the immobilizer. Keys sets are available on eBay, and if you want you can rekey both doors and trunk.

If they broke the tip on the cruise control lever, (happens a lot) that's an easy replace. On the new replacement there is a hole drilled into the circuit connector. You use that hole to pass the old wires from the previous unit through that hole then tape it together. This effectively turns the old wires into a "fish-tape". This allows you to guide the new connector through the nylon sheath that runs along the tube of the steering column. If this step is neglected feeding the connector to the base of the column is not fun...

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
And for a Plan B here........................
DSCN3100.JPG

DSCN3101.JPG

DSCN3102.JPG

DSCN3104.JPG

So what you are seeing here is the steering mast assembly for a 78-80 Cutlass. No tilt, no column shift, no turn signal operating cruise control or windshield washer. The lower sleeve that is presently matched to the turn signal and key housing is from a Monte-Carlo but I do have the actual original Olds sleeve for it as shown in the last shot. There is a tumbler loaded to the housing; may have to do some digging to find the key, keys like to hide, Y'know.

No steering wheel. The assembly as it sits there needs the screws to install the signal assembly and probably the parts to retain the signal lever. No retaining nut for the steering wheel and no guts for the horn. Most of all that ought to be harvestable from your damaged unit if they are a match. It is not shown but this is a full mast assembly that has its shaft and all the other bits including the electrical connections. It would need to be colored matched to what you have/had as OEM but that is simple to achieve.

Depending on what you find once you get into the impound yard, would this work for you?

Other Q.'s here. Who is covering the impound fees while it sits in jail? Is the lot owner liable for any additional damage done to the car while it sits in stir?

No idea of what experience you might have in connection with pulling a steering mast assembly but, for the most part, it is a plug and play exercise. Biggest thing to watch for is that everything you touch is OLD. Plastic wiring housings get brittle over time and need to be divorced from each other gently. The retaining bolt that holds the lower coupler to the steering shaft is metric, suggest a 6-pt for it. The coupling and the shaft will not just fall apart; they will need to be gently encouraged to let go of each other. All the mounting screws, like for the dashboard cradle and for the flange that holds the housing to the toe board are metric too. Can be gotten to with long extensions and maybe a swivel to make alignment easier.

If it turns out that you'll have to deal with tilt and/or telescopic damage then this likely will not help but I do have it for your consideration.

Nick

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I think if your column is rebuildable there might be enough people here who could help hook you up with the parts to put it together again.

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Thanks everyone but it looks like my insurance is giong to replace my column with an GM factory one just got the call 10 minutes ago so just have get it to a shop that does that kind of work . I know there is no way I would be able to assemble a whole steering column I would screw it up some how much better chef than a mechanic

• Winner

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So ship it to one of us who can do the deed and pay us in Steaks, (or Ribs, or Corn Dogs, or Chicken or, oh, I dunno, meatballs??) LOL

Good though to hear that the insurance company came through for you instead of trying to red line your ride.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Appreciate the offer but I can't swim and don't own a boat. I'm at the point in life where water is for showers and laundry and the occasional ice cube. Otherwise i try to stay away from the stuff. Thanks anyway.

Nick

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor