Sticky Throttle Cable...Adjustment too tight ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
Turning the screws out enriches the fuel mix, turning them in leans it out. If you're running high fuel pressure you need to lean it out. And with 9 psi you would be flooding the engine anyways, that should be overpowering the float if you're actually getting 9 psi.

How are you measuring fuel pressure? Is it t'd off to the gauge or are you dead-hearing the fuel pump to the gauge? You want to tee it off to the gauge for an accurate reading. Going directly to the gauge from the pump will give you a higher than actual reading.

Reactions: 1 users

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
Dead heading it ?
Pumping directly to the gauge, with nowhere else for the fuel to go, is dead heading the pump. Put a T in the fuel line, run one line to the gauge, one line to the carb, and recheck fuel pressure with the engine running.

Reactions: 2 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Pumping directly to the gauge, with nowhere else for the fuel to go, is dead heading the pump. Put a T in the fuel line, run one line to the gauge, one line to the carb, and recheck fuel pressure with the engine running.
Ok

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Edelbrock 1902 AVS2 500CFM carburetor...

My throttle cable keeps sticking and staying stuck after acceleration and taking my foot off of the gas pedal.

I have to use my hand to press it back down into the correct position to keep it from revving too high in Park...

I have new return springs at the front of the engine to pull the carburetor throttle linkage place...the smaller spring goes in the fatter spring and they both connect from the return bracket at the front of the manifold to the carburetor throttle linkage...but I only use the smaller spring because the fat spring gets caught on the idle screw when I let off the gas pedal. I assume the smaller spring isn't strong enough to pull against the too tight throttle cable...

New carburetor so I don't see how it could be the carburetor, unless the butterflies are getting caught at the intake, but this issue doesn't happen until I connect my throttle cable to the carburetor throttle linkage...

I'm told while adjusting the throttle cable, to pull the cable towards the front of the motor until it stops, adjust the bracket until it reaches the carburetor throttle linkage, and it should be "piano string tight" when I'm finished...

But it seems to be pulling the carburetor throttle linkage back and keeping it there after I accelerate and left off the gas pedal...

At idle, my RPMs are 750 but if I cruise and park it, the RPMs are at 1,000-1,200 RPMs and if I shut the engine off during that high idle, the engine stumbles to shut down for a couple of seconds instead of just shutting off...(which could also be caused by my 9 PSI way too high fuel pump pressure...)

I strongly believe my throttle is misadjusted and it's too tight...Am I adjusting this throttle cable correctly or is it what's causing the "sticky" throttle linkage ?
Make sure your throttle cable is good. I had the same problem. I thought something was wrong with my carb but the cable was shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor