Straight rear swaybar on 78's

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Hmmm. a car company modified a part to make the car easier to service? I thought they always made changes the other way.....:unsure:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hmmm. a car company modified a part to make the car easier to service? I thought they always made changes the other way.....:unsure:
It usually only happens when they get a lot of bad feedback from the dealership service departments as in lots of part failures/fitment issues, or servicing gripes. Typically, the engineers don't do well with people so they redesign a part for their own sanity. That's what one of the Corvette engineers told me years ago during a private plant tour by my dad. How true that is - anyone's guess. I've been around enough engineers in my lifetime to know that could be plausible.

Reactions: 2 users

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Well I suppose I won't bother trying to get an F41 later style swaybar as it seems it would most likely not be any better than the straight one. I'll use the money to get some really rad fuzzy dice instead....

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
You could always upgrade the front bar which is notoriously small on the earlier A bodies. The stock performance front bar on the 83-88 performance models was a solid 32mm bar. Many guys will use a hollow 34 mm or 36 mm front bar off of an IROC z or a WS6 Trans Am.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Be careful trying to compare hollow bar sizes to solid. For a given sizes bar like 32 mm for example a solid bar is stiffer than the same size hollow bar. I’m betting the Iroc bars are equivalent to the solid. Hollows are lighter. But regardless you don’t want to go too stiff either. Otherwise it’s like a Flintmobile tire. You’ll lose your spring compressibility.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Be careful trying to compare hollow bar sizes to solid. For a given sizes bar like 32 mm for example a solid bar is stiffer than the same size hollow bar. I’m betting the Iroc bars are equivalent to the solid. Hollows are lighter. But regardless you don’t want to go too stiff either. Otherwise it’s like a Flintmobile tire. You’ll lose your spring compressibility.
My comments are based on what guys over at montecarloss.com and turbobuick.com have been doing for years.
I have never seen anyone post anything negative about the larger bars with the exception of some clearance problems with the stock location intercoolers used on the 86-87 Turbo Regals.

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
im using a 40mm front sway bar on my 81 malibu from addco suspension and it barely clears the two front frame braces. wouldnt go any bigger than a 36mm in front and add thick rear sway bar and you will be fine for daily driver and autocrossing.

79centurytc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2015
Purchased a 78 Cutlass Salon Brougham new in 78. Had a 260 V8, a front sway bar but no rear one. Bought a oem rear (which was straight) & upgraded the front to 1-1/4". Made a big difference in how the car handled. Currently I own a 79 Century Turbo Coupe with a factory rear sway bar which is bent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor