Strange noise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Even if it isn't the flexplate, if it is a stocker or a no name, get rid of it. Things that spin, don't cheap out on.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If the torque converter bolts are incorrect they could bottom out before being fully tightened and make a lower engine knocking noise.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
excessive crankshaft end play can contribute to a cracked flex plate.
joe

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
I've got new grade 8 nuts and thru bolts.on the converter with washers and lock washers between. The converter and flywheel are definitely 1 with each other. I'm thinking I may have spaced the tc too much not allowing for rearward deflection, and maybe that cracked the flywheel?? I have yet to confirm this though, got too cold and too late to mess with the car, so tomorrow hopefully.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
If the flywheel were cracked you would notice the noise while starting the vehicle hence the torque being applied fromtthe starter turning over the engine. The flywheel wouldn't survive several 6000 rpm pulls before s-ing the bed. Check the bolts like 565 says.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I've had the opportunity to see three cracked flexplates, all new OE Chevrolet, all brand new crate engines, two ZZ4's and one 290hp. All of them presented noises while idling or light load, starting or under power they would lock up the crack and you would hear nothing, all at/around 8K miles. All three were replaced with new SFI flywheels plus grade 8 hardware and never had a problem again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I know it sucks but I'd pull the transmission and look at the converter, when I did mine the crack was barely visible but made sounds randomly. I'd have never guessed it if my buddy hadn't just went through the same thing. You could try hitting the flywheel with a hammer first, it should ring true if good, kind of like a tuning fork, would be off if cracked.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor