BUILD THREAD Street/Strip Cutlass Build: Race it, break it, fix it, repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
39899EC3-12C0-4B52-AE65-378DDFBD9852.jpeg
FF51D163-8AF1-44C1-B717-97081BFB755D.jpeg
6D3B6C92-CBBB-4BB7-AA66-E5ADC6BEB874.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
We decided to give Street Car Takeover-Charlotte one last try.

The event was even bigger this year, and man was it hot. I read somewhere online there was 500+ cars teched in, but I can’t confirm that.

The first pass I made was a 12.97 at 105. Slower everwhere, which I expected in the heat. It was 90+ degrees all day, track temps were 130, and in the staging lanes in car temps were 110-115 degrees.

The second pass I was waiting for close to a minute for the other car to complete his burnout and stage. By the time I rolled into the pre-stage beams water temp was just touching 220 degrees. It left decent but quickly bogged down before the 1-2 shift, probably vapor lock.

On a positive note, running a bias ply tire on all 4 corners totally gets rid of the swaying effect you get with a bias ply and radial tire.

This was probably the last time I do this event. It was just way too hot for racing, and there were way too many cars. But hey, I didn’t break anything, and didn’t crash.

9D9F978B-78C5-4625-9B98-0887E4353BB2.jpeg

90B6D047-A68D-41E7-AC4F-3830C07BA78A.jpeg
9E57A15F-8FD4-41F0-B37D-69ED3790C27F.jpeg
01CC9830-367B-4561-A81B-66C115E33DC3.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
A few months ago I scored this Innovate Motorsports LM-1 Data logger on ebay for $40. Its old and outdated, but it still works and is able to log the air fuel ratio. I’ve been getting serious about perfecting the tuneup. So far I’ve leaned the idle out a lot and changed secondary springs from the lightest spring, to the medium.

While the secondaries come in pretty seamlessly, The air fuel ratio peaks at 14.7 then plateaus down to around 14.0. I’m going to take 1 jet size out of the primary, and go one size bigger on the secondary. It seems like it may need more accelerator pump also.

Tuning a carbureted car is a frustrating process when trying to use the “butt dyno”, but an air fuel ratio gauge actually makes it a fun challenge!
CFFBBA46-9620-460E-9F17-38F9A2531153.jpeg
3864FA9C-F168-495A-B95D-AA0D9C406229.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
It's nice to tune and see the result and know your are going the right way. Glad to see someone is still hitting the track.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I have done literally nothing to the car since my last track outing. I'm graduating from school in May, so all of my time and money has been going into that. I did come home the other weekend and ripped a few burnouts, that got the fire re-ignited. I think I'd like to get to the track one more time before the new year, weather permitting. I've priced out all the carb tuning parts I'll need:

gaskets
squirter tuning kit
accelerator pump cams
jets etc.

Its time to get this thing running perfect and chase down a new personal best ET.

Reactions: 1 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Welp, this is embarrassing. Months have gone by where I have done literally nothing to my car. I havent even been to the track to race in over a year. Since I got my first “big boy” job out of college, I’ve been trying to aggressively pay off my student loans. I’ve been spending a little bit on my motorcycle here and there, but I can’t justify doing anything crazy to my Cutlass right now because it sits outside. But it runs and drives and I can still enjoy it and putt around! I think the next small project will be an electric fuel pump conversion. I want to do the Aeromotive Stealth setup. It seems pretty inexpensive, and will support my fuel injection setup later on. I’d like to try Holley Terminator TBI that supports electronic transmission control (4L80E swap). I think that will make the car a lot more fun to drive! But in the meantime, just enjoy it for now and try to pay off some debt!!

Reactions: 3 users

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Welp, this is embarrassing. Months have gone by where I have done literally nothing to my car. I havent even been to the track to race in over a year. Since I got my first “big boy” job out of college, I’ve been trying to aggressively pay off my student loans. I’ve been spending a little bit on my motorcycle here and there, but I can’t justify doing anything crazy to my Cutlass right now because it sits outside. But it runs and drives and I can still enjoy it and putt around! I think the next small project will be an electric fuel pump conversion. I want to do the Aeromotive Stealth setup. It seems pretty inexpensive, and will support my fuel injection setup later on. I’d like to try Holley Terminator TBI that supports electronic transmission control (4L80E swap). I think that will make the car a lot more fun to drive! But in the meantime, just enjoy it for now and try to pay off some debt!!
Sounds like you’re doing it right by taking care of existing debt instead of creating more. Your car looks great and headed in a great direction with upgrades.

Whenever you start making changes, try to overbuild everything if possible. You’ll thank yourself later.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor