Stripping paint from the plastic bits on a malibu? Any pointers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
Those plastic bits on the rear corners of a Malibu, along with the nose cone, licence plate pocket and other buts of rubber that were painted from the factory....anybody got helpful tips on how to remove the paint from these?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Those plastic bits on the rear corners of a Malibu, along with the nose cone, licence plate pocket and other buts of rubber that were painted from the factory....anybody got helpful tips on how to remove the paint from these?
Just been through this on the weekend with Project Olds Cool. Rough up the surfaces with 80 grit sandpaper, then hit them with aerosol paint stripper. Works wonders.

Just make sure to thoroughly clean them with soap and water afterwards, followed by a suitable plastic prep.

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Just been through this on the weekend with Project Olds Cool. Rough up the surfaces with 80 grit sandpaper, then hit them with aerosol paint stripper. Works wonders.

Just make sure to thoroughly clean them with soap and water afterwards, followed by a suitable plastic prep.

Pep Boys sold Klean Strip aerosol paint stripper for plastics. I just checked Klean Strips website and it said thats been discontinued but you still might be able to find a can in a local store.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
Rktpwrd, any chance of checking what the main ingredients of your aerosol stripper were? I understand some of them will attack plastics.....just wanted to see what you were using.....

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Instead of redoing the original plate pocket on your car get the new one from Mikes Montes. I used one on my 81 and its a real nice piece ! Blows the original one away.

Attachments

• IMG_2540.JPG
    IMG_2540.JPG
    506.1 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Pep Boys sold Klean Strip aerosol paint stripper for plastics. I just checked Klean Strips website and it said thats been discontinued but you still might be able to find a can in a local store.
That stuff is about as effective as water.

Your best bet is hand sanding them, anything mechanical or similar will just give you headaches. I used an electric DA sander on my rear bumper cover, and I’ve got a ton of divots to fill in.

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
They sell strippers like that at sherwin Williams or Kwal, break the surface with a scotchbright pad and apply with a chip brush then hit it with a cheap finger cleaner brush and water. But sanding would be better

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
That stuff is about as effective as water.

Your best bet is hand sanding them, anything mechanical or similar will just give you headaches. I used an electric DA sander on my rear bumper cover, and I’ve got a ton of divots to fill in.
I used that stripper on a bunch of parts and it worked well for me. Stripped a few coats of paint off of the Cutlass shrouds that I used in both of my cars and also on the inner fenders that I used in my 81. I will say that it worked best in the hot temps. I tried to strip something with it when the weather got a little colder and I had to bring the part into my heated garage for it to work.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Instead of redoing the original plate pocket on your car get the new one from Mikes Montes. I used one on my 81 and its a real nice piece ! Blows the original one away.
I picked up this same piece, and it’s much better than the factory piece. The material the factory piece is made of turns to mush over the years.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor