Suggestions and opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that year Malibu and I like the fact that they are lighter but your safe bet is the Cutlass. I would be concerned with the malibu being a rust bucket & problem child. I have no interest in sorting out someone elses electrical gremlins, transmission problems, etc etc.

IIRC you have an engine right? i'd rather have my own engine than someone elses mistakes. plus the cutty is in better shape with better equipment.

Luv Malibu's, but I say Cutlass all the way. I don't like 307's at all so that would have to go but that's a pretty nice lookin cutty. NO VINYL TOP!!!!!! Nice. Whats that? An 87 clip and a 454? Haha, do what you like, both look pretty good.

Well, i already have a Chevy 350 H.O turnkey crate that i had on my last Malibu. I also have an olds 350 that needs to be rebuild, and acces to 70 or 71 olds rocket heads with manifold. It's tough cause i like both bodies.

Usually, from what I know 307 cars had either 200r4's or 200 metric's. Does it have OD? I have seen a couple various years 307's with turbo 350's but Im not sure how common they are. As far as governors, I can't help you. Anyone?

I like Malibus better in terms of style, so I would probably go that route. However, if the interior and body are trashed on the Malibu it will be difficult to make a nice car out of it. If the Cutlass has a mint body and interior it may be a better option if the Malibu does not. It will require an engine swap though to make a decent car out of it.

The 85 is a computer car too, so getting through the silly California Emissions may be more difficult with a swap than in the earlier Malibu. Plus, if they ever go to a floating cutoff year, the Malibu would be likely to become exempt far before the Cutlass.

I would definately go with the Cutlass because of the nicer options with it, and its not molested. If you are worried about emissions the computer system will work with an Olds 350 with some tuning on the carb. I am not sure if you can make the a.i.r system work on the 350, you may be able to drill the holes in the heads to mount the tubes. Other than that all of the other emissions equipment will work. Also the 307 looks no different from the 350 so you can make it look stock. I dont know how good the people are at identifying engines for emissions in Cali, so you may or may not be able to get away with it.

Here is a link that has some good info, http://www.robertpowersmotorsports.com/Technical_Info.html

Actually, i nevered smogged my Bu. I had a place that i know pass it for me. :wink:

I also here you guys on how the condition that the cutlass is in. I guess what my bigest problem is, that i have acumulated so many differernt parts for my Bu. Decent dash, 81 Malibu Rally gauges, and Electric doors. I was also was able to salvage my exhaust system, double hump cross member, and headers. :x It pisses me off thinking about it actually.

But thanx Guys for all the feed back, im really thankful that this site exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor