Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
I am going to college this summer at UCF in orlando, I will be living on campus, and most likely bringing my 00' 'bu with me for longer errands.
however for around campus (campus is about a mile in diameter) and short trips to town, I was thinking for practicability's sake of buying a 250cc moped, which my parents seem to be ok with for on campus. The thing is, Im a fairly big guy, (5'7", 220#'s) and I think I would look stupid as hell on a moped. I got to thinking and looked up 250 cc motorcycles, and they look extremely affordable ( low 4000-ish for a 2010) and I would probably get a ninja or a nighthawk.(i like both looks) and they are quite a bit bigger than a moped, and don't look as stupid(imo).

however, even just locally in my small town there have been a lot of low speed fatalities on motorcycles so Im a little unsure if I want one,
..... plus I dont want to loose my reputation for riding what could be perceived as a girls bike....

what would you guys do in my situation?

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
Get a moped and save money on gas which can go towards upgrades.thats what I would do. :D

svltrack

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2009
IMO both a moped & a 250 are going to give about the same appearance. My first bike was a 600 yamaha and I got tired of it in a week only to upgrade to an 1000 later that month..

Any of the 3 you are going to take a hit on if you were to trade it out next year. If you are going to invest in something I would suggest getting a used big twin or equivelent. People are practically giving them away.

The other option would be that if you are set on a sport bike type find one of the buells they are selling at 50% off MSRP. Best deal in 20 years for motorcycles.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If you are going to get a step through bike, get one that is small and cheap to beat around campus on. I would probably get an old Honda Cub (Passport) if it was me. Remember that in Florida, to not require a motorcycle license the moped must be less than 50cc's, and have pedals that the rider uses to assist the thing going up hills. Otherwise you will need to get a motorcycle license. If you are concerned about reputation, I don't know what to tell you. I have always been a very practical person who has never been considered cool, so I have no idea how to advise you there.

As for how they ride, I will let you know. My neighbor just got a freebie 1977 Garrelli 49cc moped (with pedals!) and I weigh about 240. I will probably try to help him get it running right in the next week or two, and may post a review. It tops out at 25mph, so with me it may do 18...lol.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you could also get an enduro, they're easy to ride, with small engines, but enough speed for the roads.
or do what i did when i was at nuc school down there--walk alot!!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
BTW, i went to some sick ****in concerts at UCF :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
hmm... i forgot about enduros, they seem to be expensive though. Ill keep looking, my parents arent going to be estatic if they find out about me on a motorcycle lol. I will probably wait a year and see how it is going and if I can get a job/have time for one while im down there.

yeah... concerts are one thing im looking forward too... when/if I have time/money lol

and btw 85 cutlass broham, If I am gunna get a 49 cc, I might as well get a mountain bike lol, which is another option.

tell you what though if i was gunna buy a big bike, i sat on a suzuki bulevard 900, and that thing was sweet just to even sit on. I dont have the balls for the big boy sport bikes lol, my coworker has a gsx-r 1000, with exhaust, lowered, and lowered sprocket gear that does 200mph regularly... and hes upgrading it income tax time with a power commander, 6" stretch and progressive 60 nitrous shot system....

glhman222

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2009
dont get a 250cc scooter, they will break easy unless its a name brand, get a real moped (think old and 50cc) they are a blast no matter how big you are because you always look goofy on them i myself used to have a puch magnum for getting around town and it was so much fun

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
my buddy had a 150cc moped and got rearended by a Dodge Durango not too long ago, luckily he didn't die and no broken bones or serious injury only suffered major road rash, a bloody/black eye and a couple stitches to his head which swelled up pretty badly, he was wearing no helmet! he did however have a backpack on which maybe cushioned the hit a lil, but still kinda a miracle he's still here...he recoverd in a week and is back to work like nothing ever happened and is currently waiting for his big fat settlement check...just be carefull in whatever you decide to get, just get a segway! theres a guy i see riding run around town

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
segways are freaking awesome! i rode one around chicago! i looked like a nerd but it was a freakin blast!!!! 14 mph tops, but one sidewalks duckin and weavin through pedestrians, man it was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor