CUTLASS Swap 3.8 with 383 stroker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Your going to need the brackets for your accessories, fuel delivery needs to be re-routed, the trans has a different bolt pattern, and your going to have to decide on exhaust which could mean a new trans crossover mount. It would be nice to know the specs of the 383 which might require a converter, rear end gear change. Depending on the power you plan on having a rear end upgrade might be in order and a bigger radiator will be needed. I assume your going non computer control so you can remove that complete harness.

Continuing that train of thought, if you are keeping ac everything except the climate box needs changing over, abd you'll want the shroud and top plate off a v8 cutlass unless you're doing electric fan.

If you're keeping it carbed your fuel line is fine, but if going fuel injected you need to run larger fuel lines and get a gas tank made for a 4.3 tbi monte carlo or a 84-87 buick turbo 3.8 (but filler neck is different).

You're wiring harness has everything you need to run the chevy as a carb, I suggest shrink wrapping the unnecessary plugs tight to the loom to prevent corosion - I just hate cutting a wire, pet peeve.

Be careful what you order for manifold, spacer, and air cleaner height so you don't dent the hood closing it.

While everything is out you can do the jeep steering shaft upgrade even though your rag joint should be tight.

Btw, yours isn't a blue car that had been for sale for a few months is it? I can't stop looking and one that fits your description caught my eye.

Also, what year is the 3.8? Running condition? Might know someone with a use for it that could grab it from Georgia. Depending on condition, price and distance. Might pay for a part or two...

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
Yes the air condition I think is the only acc I got to figure out so I can put it in the same place as it was with the 3.8 . fuel delivery will get done and maybe a new tank. trany will be 700r4, crossmember I will deal with later, don't know what exhaust,
Going to leave the rearend for now, maybe get a ford 9 inch later. And A BIG radiator,

4 bolt main with NKB 64cc 200cc aluminum heads,scat 9000 crank, hd flex plate, pro race brand damper, scat rods with arp cap screws, forged wiseco pistons, melling select series oil pump, comp aluminum roller rockers, howards brand 4130 cromoly push rods, pbm race series valves, arp head bolts,rod bolts rocker studs and oil pumpstud.. 503 HP at 6150 rpm.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yes the air condition I think is the only ac I got to figure out so I can put it in the same place as it was with the 3.8 .
On my Regal even though I replaced everything in my AC system I used the 307 Olds set up because I didn't want the compressor on the driver's side.
I modified some LS AC brackets to mount my compressor and then made my hoses.
Also my Heads are from Skip White and work great.

20190707_191614-1_resized.jpg

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
Continuing that train of thought, if you are keeping ac everything except the climate box needs changing over, abd you'll want the shroud and top plate off a v8 cutlass unless you're doing electric fan.

If you're keeping it carbed your fuel line is fine, but if going fuel injected you need to run larger fuel lines and get a gas tank made for a 4.3 tbi monte carlo or a 84-87 buick turbo 3.8 (but filler neck is different).

You're wiring harness has everything you need to run the chevy as a carb, I suggest shrink wrapping the unnecessary plugs tight to the loom to prevent corosion - I just hate cutting a wire, pet peeve.

Be careful what you order for manifold, spacer, and air cleaner height so you don't dent the hood closing it.

While everything is out you can do the jeep steering shaft upgrade even though your rag joint should be tight.

Btw, yours isn't a blue car that had been for sale for a few months is it? I can't stop looking and one that fits your description caught my eye.

Also, what year is the 3.8? Running condition? Might know someone with a use for it that could grab it from Georgia. Depending on condition, price and distance. Might pay for a part or two...
86 on 3.8 The guy I bought it from said he was having problems with it and he pulled the six cylinder out and was going to replace it was at 3:50 but I don’t think he knew what he was doing. So I’ve got the 250 transmission and a 3.8 I would say for parts but it was running when he took it apart or out

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
On my Regal even though I replaced everything in my AC system I used the 307 Olds set up because I didn't want the compressor on the driver's side.
I modified some LS AC brackets to mount my compressor and then made my hoses.
Also my Heads are from Skip White and work great.

View attachment 127006
That’s real nice looking at least I know it can be done now I’ll get some pictures put on here soon. The car is a real dark burgundy

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee

The color is burgundy and yeah I’d be willing to get rid of the engine and the transmission

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee

Explain the steering upgrade a little more

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor