Tail lights and side markers and dash lights not working HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you need to determine what fuses have no power. I the dead wires are constant power then you need to check their power source

Fuse%2Bbox.jpg

Last edited:

James

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2015
you need to determine what fuses have no power. I the dead wires are constant power then you need to check their power source

Fuse%2Bbox.jpg
So I replaced the radio fuse, along with the tail lp, and power ant. Now lights and chimes all work.... But I still get no response from test light on tail lp fuse power ant, radio, pwr a cry. It's almost as if the inner left side gives a reading and the right hand side doesn't. So that means those have open circuit I need to pursue?

James

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2015
if you have power on one side of the fuse and not on the other the fuse is burnt
I'm referring to the actual side of the fuse box. I drew an imaginary line to split the fuse box in half. So the left hand side(all are getting positive reading ) and those in the right side ;nothing as far as feedback from tester.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
pardon me, but i misplaced my wiring diagram book, so I'm flying a little blind.
iirc, the tail lamp and power ant feeds are hot at all times, same with acc power, they may use separate fuseable links. if you have no power to either side of the fuse, in the fuse block, then you may have a bad power feed wire from the starter to the fuseable link, at the firewall junction, or splice.
the radio fuse uses switched power, meaning the ignition sw must be turned on for power to go to the fuse.

James

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2015
if you have power on one side of the fuse and not on the other the fuse is burnt
I'm referring to the actual side of the fuse box. I drew an imaginary line to split the fuse box in half. So the left hand side(all are getting positive reading ) and those in the right side ;nothing as far as feedback from tester.
pardon me, but i misplaced my wiring diagram book, so I'm flying a little blind.
iirc, the tail lamp and power ant feeds are hot at all times, same with acc power, they may use separate fuseable links. if you have no power to either side of the fuse, in the fuse block, then you may have a bad power feed wire from the starter to the fuseable link, at the firewall junction, or splice.
the radio fuse uses switched power, meaning the ignition sw must be turned on for power to go to the fuse.
I know it sounds crazy but that was the best way I could think to describe it. I'm going to start with the fusible link at the starter, it does seem to be in a bind between the pos lead to the starter.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i agree. the wiring on these cars are fairly simple and straight forward. and the fuses are a great place to start. now that we know there is no power to some of the fuses, we just need to trace down the problem between them and the battery.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
as pontiacgp has stated in a previous post, fuseable links are designed to blow, or in most cases, they melt. when they melt, they leave a void in the insulation, or may even melt the insulation. a quick check for a melted link is to pull on it. if it stretches or breaks, its bad.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor