Temp gauge testing confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Senders have a pipe thread so no teflon tape is required. Do you use teflon tape on your brake fittings as well?
Brake fittings only tighten the double/bubble flared end of the brake line to the next component and it is the flare of the brake line that seals and prevents the hydraulic system from leaking, not the threads of the fitting so that is comparing apples and oranges

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Doesn't matter if you use Teflon tape or PTE pipe dope on the sender threads - neither one will affect the gauge reading; anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed.

With the key ON, remove the sender wire connector from the sending unit - the gauge should peg instantly to COLD; then ground the terminal end in the connector to the engine, and the gauge should peg to HOT.

The gauge "I" (ignition) terminal gets 12V from the ignition switch, and the "S" (sender) terminal has the sending unit wire on it, which takes power to the sending unit. The current passes through the thermistor in the sending unit on the way to ground, and the variable resistance in the thermistor determines the gauge reading. Buy a new set of aftermarket AutoMeter gauges, they tell you to use teflon tape right in the installation instructions
"Classic Instruments temperature and oil pressure senders require a ground which is made through the threads to the engine. Using a lot of sealer or Teflon tape on the threads of the sender will cause a bad or no ground connection. This will make the gauge read lower or not at all. "

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Brake fittings only tighten the double/bubble flared end of the brake line to the next component and it is the flare of the brake line that seals and prevents the hydraulic system from leaking, not the threads of the fitting so that is comparing apples and oranges

where did I compare the two?......:popcorn:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Doesn't matter if you use Teflon tape or PTE pipe dope on the sender threads - neither one will affect the gauge reading; anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed.

With the key ON, remove the sender wire connector from the sending unit - the gauge should peg instantly to COLD; then ground the terminal end in the connector to the engine, and the gauge should peg to HOT.

The gauge "I" (ignition) terminal gets 12V from the ignition switch, and the "S" (sender) terminal has the sending unit wire on it, which takes power to the sending unit. The current passes through the thermistor in the sending unit on the way to ground, and the variable resistance in the thermistor determines the gauge reading. Buy a new set of aftermarket AutoMeter gauges, they tell you to use teflon tape right in the installation instructions

when I borrow a post someone else wrote on another forum I always use quotation marks so people won't think I actually wrote it just by adding a few words to it

"Doesn't matter if you use Teflon tape or PTE pipe dope on the sender threads - neither one will affect the gauge reading; anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed.

The gauge "I" (ignition) terminal gets 12V from the ignition switch, and the "S" (sender) terminal has the sending unit wire on it, which takes power to the sending unit. The current passes through the thermistor in the sending unit on the way to ground, and the variable resistance in the thermistor determines the gauge reading. "

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
when I borrow a post someone else wrote on another forum I always use quotation marks so people won't think I actually wrote it just by adding a few words to it

"Doesn't matter if you use Teflon tape or PTE pipe dope on the sender threads - neither one will affect the gauge reading; anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed.

The gauge "I" (ignition) terminal gets 12V from the ignition switch, and the "S" (sender) terminal has the sending unit wire on it, which takes power to the sending unit. The current passes through the thermistor in the sending unit on the way to ground, and the variable resistance in the thermistor determines the gauge reading. "

It is possible to be a member on more than one forum at a time and have to post the same information more than once. Although plagiarizing DIY forums is a pretty lucrative business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor