Tesla Model S Spanks a Dodge Viper SRT10 (Vid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Hopefully they've improved on this since Top Gear tested one.

They claim big range numbers but if you drive it "spiritedly" it's out of juice in just 50 miles. Then you get a 12-16 hr recharge time if not longer. And it kept breaking.

These electric "super cars" seem to still be in the testing R&D phase but the companies are trying to pass them off as ready for mass production.

Then you have the price. Who here has $100K to spend on one of these? Anyone heard of the Chevy Volt? They can't even sell that thing for $40K.

Back to the issue of charging times. Nissan has been working on fast charge stations for their electric Leaf that could charge your car in just 30 minutes. However, if you use it too often it'll cut your battery pack life in half. So instead of having to replace the batteries after 7 years you'll be doing it in 3-4 years. Cost of a battery pack/cell? $5,000+.

That would be like having to rebuild your gasoline engine every 50-60,000 miles.

I think there could be a place for an electric car but I just don't see it EVER becoming the ONLY way to go. I think hydrogen powered cars would be much more likely (if you can get people over the misplaced fear of explosions) because it would be extremely similar to how we run our vehicles now. You could stop and fill up within minutes just like you do now with gasoline/diesel.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Make a universal battery pack like a cordless drill and swap batterypacks at your house or battery station. Get batteries to last 250 miles or whatever.

Problem solved. Man, I should get paid for this!

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
81cutlass said:
Make a universal battery pack like a cordless drill and swap batterypacks at your house or battery station. Get batteries to last 250 miles or whatever.

Problem solved. Man, I should get paid for this!
Genius :rofl:

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Electric vehicles at current technology are only viable in an urban commuter setting. They have zero function in a rural environment or long distance travel, or even in urban if you are not driving point to point only. Also buying into the "Zero Emission" sales pitch is a lie. Currently Electric cars take more energy to produce and more energy to run then a conventional vehicle, not to mention the battery cells are toxic. All they have done is move the emission creating entity from the actual car to higher mfg emission and a higher continuing emissions from power station which will at current technology have to push out even more to handle the massive demand increase if Electric was wide spread.
I hope Tesla survives because they help the R&D and push for new tech all in a package that a consumer actually would want to buy.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The Audi has come out with an electric car using old technology. Problem is there isn't much leg room....

The-Audi-quattro-Slot-Car-Experience-01.jpeg

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
pontiacgp said:
The Audi has come out with an electric car using old technology. Problem is there isn't much leg room....

If it's a slot car race you want, I'm accepting all challengers.
Ford_CapriRS_DW.jpg

Just put a brand new ring gear in it and I'm running aftermarket slicks. :banana:

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
pontiacgp said:

The-Audi-quattro-Slot-Car-Experience-01.jpeg
Haha.. funny you mention old technology. Interestingly enough, the first all-electric car was built in 1912. The reason it was never mass produced? Same reason Tesla was refused funding by Morgan (1917). I wonder if Tesla had anything to do with the design/build of that car.

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
As an avid researcher of Tesla, I can tell you it always comes down to who wants to make the money. JP Morgan backed away from funding Tesla because Tesla wanted to build an all electric (electromagnetic propulsion) locomotive which he tried to convince Morgan it would save him a lot of money in fuel costs. Problem Tesla was not privy to was that it was the railroad industry that made Morgan rich....especially coal companies....don't wanna upset the establishment do we?

I cannot believe Tesla isn't much more than a mention in school these days.....he invented wireless toys, AC coil design, radio (nope, not Marconi....he ripped Tesla's design off), radar, discovered Earth's natural resonant frequency, created neon lighting, sound activated circuits, etc. The man was 200 years ahead of his time. Believed the time would soon come where you could send and receive wireless transmissions through the air and even send images....this was before 1920.....how incredible Is that?

I really hope the Tesla motor company survives.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
gmachinzz said:
I cannot believe Tesla isn't much more than a mention in school these days.....he invented wireless toys, AC coil design, radio (nope, not Marconi....he ripped Tesla's design off), radar, discovered Earth's natural resonant frequency, created neon lighting, sound activated circuits, etc. The man was 200 years ahead of his time. Believed the time would soon come where you could send and receive wireless transmissions through the air and even send images....this was before 1920.....how incredible Is that?

I really hope the Tesla motor company survives.
Agreed on all points. Especially the earth's natural resonant frequency, an idea he got after reading a school test question that was published in a science journal, the discovery was that the earth's frequency matched that of the human brain, and further tests (by Tesla) revealed that humans, when isolated from this frequency (of 7.83 Hertz) became sick, dizzy and nautious within the hour, re-entering the earth's natural frequency, even if artifically generated (as long as it was 7.83 Hz) the people felt "normal" again. We can't survive, life can't survive or progagate, even DNA can't replicate without the presence of this fequency. Opens up the door to so many answers. If anyone's interested, see this most eye opening video, in this video it reveals how your cell phone is known to cause cancer, and that this info is known by the manufacturers including iPhone and Blackberry (RIM) as well as other big corporations... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vb9R0x_0NQ

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
well let's not forget the pollution created to mine the ore to make aluminum, the process to turn that ore into aluminum, the pollution produced to make the batteries, the pollution created to charge those batteries, the pollution created to make everything else put into the car, the pollution to make the rubber to make the tires...the pollution created to transport goods and parts as well as the vehicles after they're made,the pollution produced to make the trucks and equipment to make all the above possible to begin with...

most of the pollution from new cars is mostly in the manufacturing of the cars, not the cars engine itself and most tend to either forget this or completely overlook it. you're better off buying a used car, it's the best form of recycling IMO when it comes to cars.

some of the first cars ran on batteries, we all know this and nobody to date has made one that is viable compared to the largely inefficient internal combustion engine. sad but true.

pipe dreams, only pipe dreams. people see or hear "zero emissions" and think the car is better than one with a gas/diesel engine and it's not. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor