Texas82GP's GMT900

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I always used conventional valvoline in everything too until it became almost impossible to find in 5w-20 in my area. I switched my high mileage vehicles to their high mile synthetic and I’ve noticed less consumption since. My truck gets changed every 3k and my DD every 6ish.
Back in the mid 90's a buddy of mine went to work for Texaco at their plant out on the Houston Ship Channel. I was a Havoline guy for years. Havoline seemed to fall out of favor and got hard to find, so I switched to Valvoline sometime between 15 and 20 years ago. Now, I'm just trying to find the next "go to".

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Back in the mid 90's a buddy of mine went to work for Texaco at their plant out on the Houston Ship Channel. I was a Havoline guy for years. Havoline seemed to fall out of favor and got hard to find, so I switched to Valvoline sometime between 15 and 20 years ago. Now, I'm just trying to find the next "go to".
Shell is top tier. Coming from a company that changed oil every 1800hrs/filters every 300hrs, I have started extending my oil change intervals on modern synthetic to 8k miles. With a quality filter its not a problem to double your 3k mile service intervals.

Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I have had good luck with Castrol for 25 years, and Shell Rotella in the diesel for 10. Recently I switched to Costco's Kirkland synthetic in the cars and dinosaur bones in the truck since the price is like 1/2 to 2/3 what I've been paying. The synthetic reduced the frequency of the cam advancer code I get now and then in the Scion. I use Mobil 1 filters in the cars and Motorcraft oil drums in the Pferd, changing them out when the Honda cries and 7K on the Scion, and 3K on the diesel. The truck is parked most of the time, so I avoid going more than a year if I don't hit 3K.

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Washed her up today. Ready to go back to work. Not bad for a 13 year old truck with 187,300 on the clock. 4L85E has exactly 18,000 miles on it....
20210103_112703.jpg

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 9 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
A wise man once told me about vehicles care for them and they’ll do the same. I’m not sure that trucks even half way through it’s life!

Last edited:
  • Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
A wise man once told me about vehicles care for them and they’ll do the same. I’m not sure that trucks even half way through it’s life!
It has zero rust. An upside of living in Houston. I have no intention of replacing it. It has set outside nearly every day since I bought it new. The plan is to park it in the garage at the new place, which will be a luxury. Unless if it gets stolen or totaled, I'll have it the rest of my life.

Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Yeah, being driven, it wont rust here. If you give it what it needs (maintenance, trim, other repairs), it will last virtually forever. My brother's GMC is 20 years old, 190k miles and is still very nice.

Nov 4, 2012
That truck looks great. Makes me almost want to consider a GMT900 to replace my Ferd whenever that happens.

Was that truck built at the Fort Wayne Indiana Plant?

Reactions: 1 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
It has zero rust. An upside of living in Houston. I have no intention of replacing it. It has set outside nearly every day since I bought it new. The plan is to park it in the garage at the new place, which will be a luxury. Unless if it gets stolen or totaled, I'll have it the rest of my life.
I’m the same with my 07 truck, but living in the upper Midwest I’m always fighting rust. I’d like to keep it the rest of my life but lil man says it’s his when he gets his license (in a decade!). We’ll see...

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor