Texas82GP's GMT900

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That truck looks great. Makes me almost want to consider a GMT900 to replace my Ferd whenever that happens.

Was that truck built at the Fort Wayne Indiana Plant?
Yes sir it was.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I figured this was as good a place as any to post my pics of the President's Day snow event here in Houston. This is by no means a lot of snow for you all that live up north, but it's a lot of snow for here in suburban Houston. It's the most I've ever seen here...
20210215_080058_copy_2016x1134.jpg

20210215_080024_copy_2016x1134.jpg

20210215_075942_copy_2016x1134.jpg

The rare times it does snow here, it never sticks to the paving.

We were without power here for 21 hours yesterday. Between our 7500 watt generator and the 10 circuit transfer switch on the house, we got through it pretty comfortably. We got the house up to the low 60's between three space heaters and the gas fireplace. There's been no power at work for two days. Some of my colleagues who had power yesterday don't today. There isn't a problem with the lines from ice or anything. Instead there is a power generation shortfall. It seems the wind turbines in south Texas couldn't hack the cold weather.

The truck has definitely started to consume a little oil. If you remember, I found it like 2.5 quarts down the last time I changed the oil. There's about 3500 miles on that change now and it was a half a quart down. It's hard to complain though, about a half a quart in 3500 miles from an engine with 189k miles on the clock, to say nothing of how many times it's been revved hard up above 6k RPM. We'll see what the level looks like when it has 190k miles on it and it's due for the next service.

Oh, the bedcover sucks with ice and snow on it. It's very heavy. I went to the gas station this morning for gas and beer. When I went to lift the bedcover up so I could close the tailgate, my feet, on icy concrete, came out from under me and I busted my a$$ good. Evidently the sight of my fat *ss going down was pretty humorous. The two young guys in the car behind me seemed to think so. It's hell getting old.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I figured this was as good a place as any to post my pics of the President's Day snow event here in Houston. This is by no means a lot of snow for you all that live up north, but it's a lot of snow for here in suburban Houston. It's the most I've ever seen here...
View attachment 168777

View attachment 168778

View attachment 168779

We were without power here for 21 hours yesterday. Between our 7500 watt generator and the 10 circuit transfer switch on the house, we got through it pretty comfortably. We got the house up to the low 60's between three space heaters and the gas fireplace. There's been no power at work for two days. Some of my colleagues who had power yesterday don't today. There isn't a problem with the lines from ice or anything. Instead there is a power generation shortfall. It seems the wind turbines in south Texas couldn't hack the cold weather.

The truck has definitely started to consume a little oil. If you remember, I found it like 2.5 quarts down the last time I changed the oil. There's about 3500 miles on that change now and it was a half a quart down. It's hard to complain though, about a half a quart in 3500 miles from an engine with 189k miles on the clock, to say nothing of how many times it's been revved hard up above 6k RPM. We'll see what the level looks like when it has 190k miles on it and it's due for the next service.

Oh, the bedcover sucks with ice and snow on it. It's very heavy. I went to the gas station this morning for gas and beer. When I went to lift the bedcover up so I could close the tailgate, my feet, on icy concrete, came out from under me and I busted my a$$ good. Evidently the sight of my fat *ss going down was pretty humorous. The two young guys in the car behind me seemed to think so. It's hell getting old.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
View attachment 168777

View attachment 168778

View attachment 168779

Those are known for that, there are a few common issues. #1 being the drivers side valve cover. They came out with a revised baffle in the newer covers. I had the same problem, new cover cured about 85% of my oil burning... food for thought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F66SLG8/?tag=gbody-20

Reactions: 2 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
what ??? no donuts ?? We got 8" of light fluffy snow last night here. Co-worker was laughing her *ss off as my business partner ( in my AWD van ) and me in a 12000 pound bucket truck were doing ballet moves in the snow at the same time in the parking lot this morning. He was drifting bigger circles around me while I tried to do figure 8's.

oh and as a disclaimer to my insurance agent... it was on a closed course with professional drivers :)

That truck of yours must be a beast in the snow. Drifting corners and donuts are what makes snow worthwhile :)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Washed her up today. Ready to go back to work. Not bad for a 13 year old truck with 187,300 on the clock. 4L85E has exactly 18,000 miles on it....
View attachment 165789

13 years? Is it broken in yet? My 98 K1500 has 281,000 on the clock and I do believe the 4L80 I swapped into it is now due for a flush. I think I swapped it around 22Xk. It was pretty until the hail schwacked it. I still have zero intention of getting rid of it though. Like yours, it has no rust. I also had the same trans harness failure as you. I potted the new harness with grey RTV on the back side in an effort to make it last as long as possible.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Those are known for that, there are a few common issues. #1 being the drivers side valve cover. They came out with a revised baffle in the newer covers. I had the same problem, new cover cured about 85% of my oil burning... food for thought.

I'm glad to hear you say that. There's a TSB out there and it's 3 part: valve cover, top end cleaning, and installing a diffuser on some valve in the oil pan. Of the 3 the valve cover is definitely the simplest. I believe you can swipe them in the junkyard from a 2012+ model as well.

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The top end cleaning is meant to free the compression rings on the pistons. They get so much oil behind them, they get carboned up and get stuck. Do some full throttle pulls for a day, you'll probably clean them out just as well and have more fun 😁

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We're definitely contemporaries Mike. That was pretty funny. I still hate you a little though for laughing at my fat clumsy *ss.

Thanks for the link. I'm guessing it isn't a valve cover issue since it never used to consume oil with the same valve cover. I still may try it though. I don't have anything against the updated design.
what ??? no donuts ?? We got 8" of light fluffy snow last night here. Co-worker was laughing her *ss off as my business partner ( in my AWD van ) and me in a 12000 pound bucket truck were doing ballet moves in the snow at the same time in the parking lot this morning. He was drifting bigger circles around me while I tried to do figure 8's.

oh and as a disclaimer to my insurance agent... it was on a closed course with professional drivers :)

That truck of yours must be a beast in the snow. Drifting corners and donuts are what makes snow worthwhile :)
It will spin one tire as much as you want on any surface, wet or dry. It used to have a locking differential but I seem to have broken the gov-bomb somewhere along the way with spirited driving. A new limited-slip differential is on the wish list but it will have to wait until after the move. I may do it myself when we have our own shop with a lift. What little I've driven in snow recently, I had gas cans and or beer in the back so I've taken it easy.
13 years? Is it broken in yet? My 98 K1500 has 281,000 on the clock and I do believe the 4L80 I swapped into it is now due for a flush. I think I swapped it around 22Xk. It was pretty until the hail schwacked it. I still have zero intention of getting rid of it though. Like yours, it has no rust. I also had the same trans harness failure as you. I potted the new harness with grey RTV on the back side in an effort to make it last as long as possible.
Thanks for the interest in the swap. Yeah, it's definately broke in at this point. I try hard to keep it nice because I enjoy it that way.
I'm glad to hear you say that. There's a TSB out there and it's 3 part: valve cover, top end cleaning, and installing a diffuser on some valve in the oil pan. Of the 3 the valve cover is definitely the simplest. I believe you can swipe them in the junkyard from a 2012+ model as well.
My money is on carbon in the upper ring lands out of those three. Dropping the pan is relatively easy on this truck. The center section of the crossmember unbolts. It must have some cylinder wear though with 190k miles, many of them very spirited.
The top end cleaning is meant to free the compression rings on the pistons. They get so much oil behind them, they get carboned up and get stuck. Do some full throttle pulls for a day, you'll probably clean them out just as well and have more fun 😁
It gets plenty of full throttle pulls, believe me. I have a 2008 6.0 bare block that I'll likely build for it eventually but again, that will be after the move and that project would be after the GP is up and running. I may look into treating carbon in the ring lands though. Still, it's not really an issue.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor