Texas82GP's Roadmaster

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
glad you made the trip trouble free. I've always like the Roadies, but like others, never found the one I liked at the price I liked. I did have 2 examples of it's cousin, the caprice 9c1, and loved them (wish I hadn't sold those either). def a floating road sofa!

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
So I've had a bad time with my lower back all week. By Saturday I was pretty stir crazy but I didn't have swapping in the new rear shocks and springs in me, to say nothing of getting the compressor system for the rear load leveling shocks going again.

Out of desperation, I went to the storage Saturday afternoon and fiddled with the Concert II tweeter in the Driver's side door. It's been cutting in and out since I bought the car. The speaker is plastic welded to the grill, which also houses the door lock switch. The grill is secured to the door with one Phillips screw.

I pulled the speaker and grill to get a part number...

20200725_133812_copy_2016x1134.jpg

Those speakers are unobtanium. So I plugged the speaker back in and couldn't get it to drop out. I scraped the male side of the connection with a small flat screwdriver and put it back together. We'll see.

Earlier in the week I bought a refurbished stock radio that has had blue tooth added to it. The cassette deck in mine had failed and I've been using a bluetooth adapter. After fooling around with the speaker, I decided to pull the face off the dash in anticipation of replacing the radio and to address the cluster lens.

The cluster lens in the car has a strange abberation....

20200725_142715_copy_2016x1134.jpg

I pulled the cluster and then pulled the lens. I tried to polish the lens from both sides. I got pretty aggressive. I tried rubbing compound on both sides to no avail. The flaw seems to be inside the plastic. Several months back, I bought another cluster with a "perfect" lens. I'm planning to swap lenses since if I swap clusters, the replacement cluster will need to be programmed.

So this morning, instead of jumping on the lens swap, Sean and I went to the local Pick Your Part. I was hoping for a better front license plate bracket and maybe better grey bumper trim. Here is the donor....

Screenshot_20200725-110314.jpg

After some struggling from having a C.S. tool kit, we left the yard with the entire front bumper assembly.....

20200726_130215_copy_2016x1134.jpg

The front plate holder was broken. The trim is in basically mint condition. The bumper cover also may be nicer than mine. Moving forward, I'll use this trim and the best of the rest of the parts. Whichever bumper cover I use will be refinished. This project will address the car's worst cosmetic flaw. I'm excited to move forward. I'm thrilled with this morning's purchase from the junkyard. I'll update with the progress friends.

Reactions: 16 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
Wow. Someone has really taken care of that car. Wish mine was that nice.

It was probably one of the cleanest ones I've ever seen in person. Based on everything you've posted, I'd say yours is at least as nice. I always wished they would've used the Roadmaster sedan front clip on the wagons.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It was probably one of the cleanest ones I've ever seen in person. Based on everything you've posted, I'd say yours is at least as nice. I always wished they would've used the Roadmaster sedan front clip on the wagons.
I knew the hoods were different and I think the front bumpers are different but until now, I didn't realize how different the front clips are....

20200727_123302.jpg

06-20-20_12.jpg

I wonder why they did that. Different assembly plants?

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
knew the hoods were different and I think the front bumpers are different but until now, I didn't realize how different the front clips are....

The wagon is pretty much Caprice sheet metal. Maybe just because GM? I like the sedan clip so much more, it's more muscular looking.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor