"That's a classic!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
A couple of seventeen year olds encircled my 78 GP today and were like kids in a candy store.....that's a classic, it's all original too, ya think you might sell it?
I guess there's hope for the next generation!

rmodys

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Southwest Florida
I know there's hope with alot of kids I know. My 16 year old brother has a 1968 Chevelle Malibu with a 307. My friend Brant who's 17 has a 1970 Chevelle, and Bradley has a 1980 Camaro. I, of course, at 14 have an '86 Monte Carlo SS.

Most of the kids I know all like older cars better then new cars, so there's hope there. Just thought I'd keep you guys updated on today's youth. Not everyone's into the lame ricer cars that are usually badly done.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Oh, theres hope. It seems that there r quite a few of teens with Montes on Motortopia, too. Unfortunately gas prices may scare some others away into the Import crowd where fuel efficiency is a concern. :(
I'm doing pretty good at 13mpg but prob wouldn't drive it everyday.

Jun 26, 2006
Gloucester, Mass.
I am 19 and have had my '83 Monte since age 16. I knew exactly what I wanted and found the right one on ebay. However in a town where BMW and Lexus reign supreme my American classic has been less than appreciated and brushed off as "the only car I could afford". The loud exhaust always puts them in their place.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There are too many of those "kids" who are taking a liking to G bodies and are causing a shortage of parts for us "classic' guys...I don't know about other areas but there are more G bodies cruising around town and less selection of parts in the recycling yards. It took me a few weeks to find a close ratio steering box and it had to come in from out of town... :roll:

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
gp, I don't have that problem. Young'uns from around Indy don't really like the G-Bodies and the wrecking yards just crush them. I'm screwed either way. I'd rather have "kids" running around in them, that way parts r still there, at least. May have to buy a whole car, but still, they r there. I welcome the "kids" and G-Bodies. Hopefully they just take care of them.

I wish they'd stop crushing G-Bodies. I've even spoke to them about it. Call me and I'll come look at it. But they make more money on its scrap since it's actually made from metal and not plastic.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I think that I can add some depth to this post.

:wink:

Being 16 not-so long ago, I was into the whole import scene. When the Fast and the furious movies came out, I saw them a few times. That's sorta what kick-started my car fascination. I wanted to build a 92-95 Civic (EG for Honda guys) just like the black ones used in the roberies). Shortly, however that changed. When I was looking for my first car, I didn't look too hard. I was torn between two cars. A brown '92 Honda Accord EX sedan in auto, and a black/silver '92 Ford mustang GT 5.0 in auto. The Accord was rusty and the 5.0 was a tad too high for me. At that time, I wanted the top model. Who wants a V6 fox-body Mustang? Not I! So eventually I bought my first car. A white '93 Honda Accord EX coupw in a 5 speed. I was psyched. I even got it like 8 months before I got my permit. lol. I did some tasteful mods to it and raced it every chance I could. Hey, you were 16 before too. Then, I just wanted something different. The constant shifting, and the exhaust drone were getting old. I looked highly at my cousins mint silver '86 Pontiac Fiero GT fastback. I ended up getting my brown '89 Cadillac Sedan DeVille instead. Dumb move. I liked the car alot, but it ended up screwing me out of a few grand. Real fast. So after that, I got my current daily driver, a black '06 Cobalt SS 2.4 in auto. If I didn't lease it, it'd be a stick definately. And the '04 Monte SS in my sig is my dads that we tinker with. So to aid in my not being able to mod the Cobalt sickness, I bought my green '85 Grand Prix. I've always liked older cars better. Hell, I'm a valet. I've driven cars that most people never ever will. Corvettes, Porsches, Jaguars... Yeah. Sure, they're nice... But nothing really excites you like the burble of a classic car. And when on a trip, wondering how far you'll get / if you'll get there is always fun too.

:D

So being 18 now, I might not be a whole lot older. But don't you worry, there's plenty of domestic fans out there under the age of 30. Usually either F bodies or other older cars. I've seen alot of fans of G bodies too. They're a pretty special bunch of people. Hell, my girlfriend even likes G body Monte SS's, Cutty 442's, and Grand Nationals. She's a keeper!

8)

The Accord:

IMG_0835.jpg

The Cadillac:

IMG_3054.jpg

rmodys

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Southwest Florida
pontiacgp said:
There are too many of those "kids" who are taking a liking to G bodies and are causing a shortage of parts for us "classic' guys...I don't know about other areas but there are more G bodies cruising around town and less selection of parts in the recycling yards. It took me a few weeks to find a close ratio steering box and it had to come in from out of town... :roll:
So would you rather have them in annoying Honda Accords? That's just plain greedy of you. Unless you were kidding then in that case, good joke.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
rmodys said:
pontiacgp said:
So would you rather have them in annoying Honda Accords? That's just plain greedy of you. Unless you were kidding then in that case, good joke.

I said it...(more like typed it)..with tongue in cheek. It is true though that there are more G bodies roaming the streets which shorten the supply of used parts but on the other side of the coin make it more lucritive for manufactuers to make aftermarked parts for the G bodies.....and yes I do like seeing the annoying Honda Accords...my GP has to eat something .. :lol:

rmodys

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Southwest Florida
pontiacgp said:
rmodys said:
pontiacgp said:

I said it...(more like typed it)..with tongue in cheek. It is true though that there are more G bodies roaming the streets which shorten the supply of used parts but on the other side of the coin make it more lucritive for manufactuers to make aftermarked parts for the G bodies.....and yes I do like seeing the annoying Honda Accords...my GP has to eat something .. :lol:
Haha, you've got a point. A guy in a VW with the wheels painted grey revved the engine when it passed my brother and I when we were in his Chevelle today. Boy, his engine sure sounded intimidating. :roll:

I can't say that I'm guilty for the G-body parts shortage since there are like ten G-bodies down here driving around and my SS has been in the family since '87 with a four year gap without it being here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor