The 200 Metric

Status
Not open for further replies.

constantprojects

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2011
I am working on my malibu that i recently got back after 8 long years . left from me with blown v6 , came back with 355 installed . problem is or so i think . The 200 metric transmission is still in the car . the 355 that was put into it came from another friend of mine . well built motor , ran extremely well in the previous owners rx7 . now 8 years and only 16,000 miles later this motor just doesnt seem to be doing what it did in the rx7 . i know theres quite a weight difference but still should do more than it is . I know everyone is going to throw out there about getting a th350 and so on . My question is , is this 200 metric transmission really holding this motor back that much . list of things ive done in the past couple of weeks since i got the car back .

Removed Holley 670 street avenger - seemed to be dumping to much fuel , replaced with holley 600
Removed old cracked long tube headers - replaced with thicker flanged coated shorty headers
Re-Ran duals - had blown apart cheap turbos , put on welded 40 series thrush
Plugs , wires , cap , rotor button , air cleaner , adjusted roller rockers , changed oil

Car seems slugish , transmission seems to lag when shifting . i have adjusted and readjusted the kick down cable . adjust/tuned the carb .... cant seem to get anywhere with this thing . Will this transmission not work for this motor ?

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
What does the rear have for gears?

washingtonb2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2010
That TH200 is made for use with a daily driver without any mods. It is bascially the same setup as the 3 speed in a Chevy Celebrity. If you are looking to for something with to move it off the line faster then you should go with a 4 speed with overdrive like the 200R4 or the 700R4. I am running a 700R4 in my 88 Cutlass.

constantprojects

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2011
washingtonb2 said:
That TH200 is made for use with a daily driver without any mods. It is bascially the same setup as the 3 speed in a Chevy Celebrity. If you are looking to for something with to move it off the line faster then you should go with a 4 speed with overdrive like the 200R4 or the 700R4. I am running a 700R4 in my 88 Cutlass.

am i correct in assuming i would have to do a driveshaft shorting to make a od trans work . i know a th350 with 6" tail shaft is the same length as what i have now

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you probably have the 2.XX gears which would kill any cars performance. that and you do need to confirm what trans you have. take a look at the pan, they are pretty distinctive.
for the real, jack up the rear and mark the driveshaft and tires. rotate the shaft and count the turns required to turn the wheels 1 full rev. if you have an open diff, only one wheel will turn. in this case it may be easier to put a piece of tape on the shaft, have a flap hanging off. then SLOWLY move the car on the ground and have someone do the counting.
also, what does the trans fluid look/smell like?
did you check the timing? did you pull and look at the plugs to confirm its running right? did you check the valve lash?
before we spend his money, we should probably make sure it's the trans. though i fully agree that he will want to change the trans anyway. in which case--get the 200-4r.

constantprojects

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2011
megaladon6 said:
you probably have the 2.XX gears which would kill any cars performance. that and you do need to confirm what trans you have. take a look at the pan, they are pretty distinctive.
for the real, jack up the rear and mark the driveshaft and tires. rotate the shaft and count the turns required to turn the wheels 1 full rev. if you have an open diff, only one wheel will turn. in this case it may be easier to put a piece of tape on the shaft, have a flap hanging off. then SLOWLY move the car on the ground and have someone do the counting.
also, what does the trans fluid look/smell like?
did you check the timing? did you pull and look at the plugs to confirm its running right? did you check the valve lash?
before we spend his money, we should probably make sure it's the trans. though i fully agree that he will want to change the trans anyway. in which case--get the 200-4r.

11 bolts on the pan (200 metric) . i will do the tape trick tomorrow morning on the shaft and post results . trans fluid smells like ..... trans fluid . not burnt smelling or anything . also still retains red color . no on the valve lash checking . Due explain that a little more , i would love to learn .

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
procedure will depend on the type of cam/lifters. you should have a hydraulic cam. best thing to do is follow the book procedure (and IIRC you can print it off compcams website)
oh, how are you adjusting the TV cable?

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
The metric 200 had the same first (2.75) as the OD trans listed above. Going to them will not help off the line.

If it is working right (no slip, shifts firm, TV cable set right) it is not your problem , yet.

Find out the rear ratio.

Get the engine right.

After that you will have to start trans shopping. :mrgreen:

constantprojects

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2011
megaladon6 said:
procedure will depend on the type of cam/lifters. you should have a hydraulic cam. best thing to do is follow the book procedure (and IIRC you can print it off compcams website)
oh, how are you adjusting the TV cable?

as far as adjusting the rockers , i was meaning they had a little chatter when i got the car . had them adjusted that day . the guy who put them on didnt have them quite right .

the tv cable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor