The Bronze Brick a Very Unusual 9C1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings & Happy Fourth of July Guys & Gals; This site (GBody Forum) has matured into the best site I visit, Period, Thank you moderators. Well I haven't made the road course yet. Carburetor problem still not fully resolved. But the good news is the Bronze Brick is back on the road as of yesterday. I borrowed a 750 HP main body, seems to work nearly as well as my 750 PV ProForm-QF that Holley still has! A few of weeks ago I got impatient waiting for the replacement to arrive, thinking that it may never arrive. And ordered a re-manufactured 750 HP direct from Holley just to prove that my ProForm unit was the problem. Disassembled it, mounted the main body to my QF base & metering blocks. WOW works good & NO Seepage. Called the Holley Tech guys (& they do a hell of a Good job) again & found out the replacement was on back order. Told them that the problem was defiantly my 750 PV ProForm main body & sent mine in, they still got it. In the mean time I re-assembled the Re-manufactured HP unit & have returned it. Then to my amazement a PF-QF 650 PV arrives, back order filled. Oh wrong CFM nearly useless, but still a good test inspection unit. So what do the two 750 HP's & the 650 PV have in common that my 750 PV doesn't. The 4-5 year mystery may be solved! And after many more hours of internet search & guessing wrong by PF- QF- Holley the first time I sent it to them. My 3 or 4 wrong guesses it appears that it's the finish on the metering block surfaces is at fault. TOO course & they may have done that the first time I sent it in? As the others all are very smooth & would explain why the red QF harder gaskets seemed to seep more that the Holley softer blue, but they seeped too, just not as much? When & if I get my PF-QF 750 PV main body back if the metering block surfaces aren't smoothed by them I'll be fixin' the finish myself. Another good thing out of this 4-5 year ordeal is I've advanced my knowledge of the Holley square bore carburetor, I know enough now to be dangerous! Anyway over the last 48 years ( since 1969) I've been fiddelin' with these & rebuilding them for friends & who ever asked, I just got one to do that is from a 19?? the first generation our beloved Holley's. The quiz today is what year Holley do I have in my shop? What car did this come off of? And yes it is valuable! Take care guys, Ole' Bob.

Reactions: 1 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Good Morning 81msw79 & all; Yes from the 50's & yes from a ford product. In this case a 1957 Edsel "Y" block. The first time I got a 100 MPH ride was in my uncle's Edsel. My mother was pissed, I was about 11 or 12. Now ya got me travelin' back in time again, later Ole' Bob.
Ps: I'll try to post a few pictures as I progress on it's re-build path.
Pss: I should of mentioned this a long time ago. If anyone of you guys want me to fix or re-build your Holley I sure would consider doing so. Keep in mind I only do this as a hobby, so I'm slow.

Reactions: 1 user

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; Well had the Bronze Brick out last evening, killing bugs. Seems to run OK with the Holley HP body & no seepage (leak). Temp it was 92* & super humid. The engine water temp stayed right at 180*, oil went 230* or so to be expected as I was burning dead dinosaur juice at an accelerated rate. Tomorrow I plan to take the ole' work car (05 GuTOo) to Byron & see if I can break into the 12's. Wish me luck & if you're in the area bring your hot rod to Byron. Weather forecast is near perfect 79* & no rain. Ole' Bob.

Reactions: 3 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Hi Quinn & all; Well I made it to Byron Drag Way yesterday with the ole' work car. Pitted beside a rough looking Malibu, 4.56 screw in a 12 bolt housing, 355 inch & th-350 manual shift. Weather was 79* & super desert air (DRY). One of the semi pros mentioned that everybody would be slow by a few tenth's. And he was correct as I could only manage a best of 13.1 (the bad), but I did put 2 out of 3 modem Hemi's down & a stock 2015 SS Camaro. Ok so that's no big deal, but please keep in mind that my car is 10 years or more older that than these up to date factory supper (?) cars. So I get shorty headers, Hi flow mids & a computer tune to keep me in the game. And that proved to be enough for the day. But after speaking with a fellow that has a new 2017 SS Camaro, 12.4 stock & stepped on best hi 10's. But with the weather so dry he was mid 11's, so on one was happy with their performance yesterday. So to make this fun I'm only going to post a bit at a time. First picture the Malibu as he made a by run with me in the burn out box. As I was paired with some MoPar Cat moments later following pictures. Only to find out later setting next to Cat owner's dad that It (Cat wasn't stock) was making over 800 HP to the tires? Is $70,000 a good guess? More later if anyone is interested, Ole' Bob.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.JPG
    IMG_0328.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 205
Last edited:
  • Winner

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; I'm a happy camper as Monday morning on my porch is a package from Holley. A brand new Quick Fuel 750 PV main body. Apparently mine wasn't worth the time to fix it, so tomorrow I'll be takin' the carb apart & replacing my buddies main body with my new one. I want to take the time to publicly thank Holley for their Great customer service. As they accommodated me for my lack of expedience & their miss on the first round (I had sent it in when it was still under warranty the first time). Of course I still haven't got it all assembled yet, but if the finish was the problem the new one is smooth so I should be good. My buddy is going to sell the Holley HP 750 VS main body for a $100 if anyone is interested. They go for $160 new & I can attest it is in perfect working order.
So few noticed that the red car racing against my Ole' work car was behind me & cost 2 or 3 times more? Of course he did go by around the 75 foot mark running a 12.019 to my 13.341. But the next three runs made my day. As I put down a Hemi (425 on the hood scoop) 4 door Charger with a gal pilot. I think it was her second time at the drag strip. She waited .706 to get started to my .167 & at the end she was 15.094 to my 13.313. Round #3 I pared with a 2015 bone stock SS Camaro gray haired guy like me, been to the strip many times. He knew that I was a bit quicker so he tried to hole shot me with a -.025 (RED light) to my .029 (green) 13.824 to my 13.194 @106.08. And round 4 (I have no picture) I'm gonna get a new photographer as I paired with another Hemi, a Challenger (2 door) this time, bone stock. Also a first time drag racer, but he had 4 or 5 runs under his belt. So he waits .503 before he gets going to my .067 RT & at the end his 13.648 to my 13.157. Only two things short of a perfect day, I didn't break into the 12's & their was no 5.0 Coyote Mustang's to put down. Ole' Bob.
Ps: And a gorgeous 56 Chey with a nose too high (my opinion), another gray haired guy & he ran a low 12!

Attachments

• IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 185
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I guess the '56 was going for the "gasser" look.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings 307 Regal & all; Ya up close that 56 was-is a beautiful automobile. I was teen ager back in the 60's & I don't remember the straight axle cars being that high, but time & memory fade. Anyway I promised pictures of that 1957 Holley, so here they are beside a 2017 (60 yrs) Quick Fuel Holley. And for some reason my seat of the pants gut feeling is the QF 750 PV preforms better than the Holley 750 HP??? Later Ole' Bob
Ps: Now I can turn my attention to the road course, but I may wait until summer winds down for cooler weather?

Attachments

• IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 175
Reactions: 2 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; Well it sure pays to be polite. I've had the Bronze Brick out 4 times now & no seepage from the carb. The Holley guys made this problem go away, yes it took time & few trips back & forth, no one is perfect. Anyway on a lighter note I now have three 1957 Ford Holley carbs in my shop as I inadvertently become a early Holley repair guy. I would guess that having 3 of these carbs in the same place at the same time is quite unusual, but then I an unusual guy! OK just odd. I'll post up a couple of pictures later, Ole Bob.
Ps: I was surprised that few commented about the picture of me in the GuTOo leading the red Dodge with the cat decal on the side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor