BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

As usual, amazing attention to detail.
Sorry to hear about your eye, wishing you a speedy recovery. Just had retinal re attachment surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. Had to go easy for a couple of weeks , but now I'm able to work on my cam swap while I'm on disability!:D

Like everyone else, good luck with your recovery.... This car is just over the top, really. Wow. Anyway, with this being a driver, I am interested in the side mirror removal? It's crazy beautiful, just wanted to hear your thoughts on that one. Thanks for posting all of this!

Hey everyone, thanks for all the well wishes on my recovery.
This has been ongoing since Saturday night, and I'm still not much closer to having it fixed up. Between optometrists, opthamologists, pharmacists and a few other "ists", they've got me running all over the damn city with daily follow up appointments and shining a zillion bright lights in my eyes.
With all the prescriptions they're writing me for lotions, potions and drops, I'm starting to look like a walking dispensary! Lol
Oh well, at least I've got a half decent insurance health plan at work.

Like everyone else, good luck with your recovery.... This car is just over the top, really. Wow. Anyway, with this being a driver, I am interested in the side mirror removal? It's crazy beautiful, just wanted to hear your thoughts on that one. Thanks for posting all of this!
Thanks Geo's.
I'll be the first to admit, not all the modifications on the car are 100% legal.
If I get pulled over and the officer is sharp enough to notice that things like the side mirrors and marker lights are missing, I'll likely get a ticket or at the very least a stern talking to. Lol
I'm going to operate under the "it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission" policy for the luxury of having clean lines on the car.

As far as the functionality side of things is concerned, this car was and will continue to be serious enough that it will command my full attention at all times when behind the wheel. So for me to have to do full shoulder checks in place of missing outside mirrors is really not an issue. I shaved the mirrors when I built the car the first time, and really didn't find it that much of an inconvenience.
Thanks for your interest guys.
Donovan

As usual, amazing attention to detail.
Sorry to hear about your eye, wishing you a speedy recovery. Just had retinal re attachment surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. Had to go easy for a couple of weeks , but now I'm able to work on my cam swap while I'm on disability!:D
Damn dude, that's really harsh. I thought what I was going thru was bad enough, I couldn't imagine having to recover from that surgery. Best wishes on a speedy recovery for you!

Reactions: 1 user
All the best on a speedy recovery. I promise I'll start a build thread soon on the new project. It just showed up in my driveway last night.

So there's been one advantage to crisscrossing the city for all these eye appointments... I was able to hit a coupl'a speed shops and picked up some new goodies for the car yesterday.
image.jpg

image.jpg

A brand spankin' new gas tank is on order for the Aeromotive setup as well. Also picked up my exhaust cutouts - dual 3" stainless steel sliding knife style from Doug's Headers.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now I've just got to throw some turn downs on 'em, and they'll be good to go!:D

Reactions: 1 user
I just binge looked at the entire thread. Great work! Your skills as a jedi are complete.

Hutch
Hutch,
You actually sat there and read the whole thread all at once?!?!
Oh man, your eyes must've been crossed by the time you were done!
:confused:
I don't know how long it took you to read it, but that's roughly 6 years worth of work on the car up to that point.
Thanks very much for checking it out. Keep coming back from time to time, as I continue to update progress.
Donovan

Donovan, I hope for a speedy recovery with your eye situation! I think you're probably just as dedicated to your recovery as you are with your build. Thanks for keeping us up to date with both!

Doug

Well, it was a damn good day at the wreckers.

I've been looking for a cool dash in various cars at the wreckers for some time now, searching for one that would suit the car perfectly without much luck. I've looked at everything from newer Impalas to Hyundai's (Yikes!). Nothing's really jumped out at me and said "Yes! This is the one!" As far as Oldsmobile dashes are concerned, there's really not much to choose from. They never made a really "sporty" looking dash as far as I can tell.
Truth be told, the dash that I really wanted to put in the car, I had in my first car, a '76 Cutlass. I loved that dash. It angled the controls towards the driver kinda like a cockpit, and had the speedometer and tach tunnelled in either side of the column giving it a bit of a musclecar feel.

That particular style of dash came in Cutlasses from '73-77.
Now, I don't know what the selection of 40 year old cars is like around you guys, but around here, finding one is like looking for hen's teeth. I'd been watching for one for about 7 or 8 years now, but had long ago given up hope and resigned to looking for other options.

I had spotted a lower splash panel for my Lincoln LS that I'd been searching for at a yard yesterday, so I got up bright and early today and grabbed it.
On my way home, I decided on a whim to hit another local yard to see if they had any G's in stock yet. Found 2, but neither had anything I needed. I was almost ready to leave empty handed, when, in the second last row from the end, I found a '77 Cutlass!
Whoo Hoo!
No brainer, I pulled the dash as fast as I could!

It's pretty rough to be honest, but after all, it IS almost 40 years old. It's got cracks and some damage, and it's a hideous orangey-red color, but it was complete with everything. To be honest, I'm really not too concerned with the condition or the color, I just need it as a starting point.

Here it is after a thorough cleaning and I had stripped out the HVAC and other stuff I wouldn't need:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Don't mind the level in the pic, it was needed to prop the dash up for pics. Lol

I can picture a cool aftermarket tach and speedo in the holes, and a flush mounted shift light between them...
image.jpg

... the inner bezels blacked out and some custom aluminum panels to house more gauges and air ride controller in the sides...
image.jpg

image.jpg

...as well as house the switches for fans, cutouts, etc, with everything accented in carbon fiber.

Of course, all the cracks and damages will need to be repaired, and it'll go black to match the rest of the interior.

Some ******** before me smashed the glove box door undoubtedly searching for lost treasure, but I was able to piece it together enough to get it to stay closed at least. I've seen the GB doors on flea bay, so I'm not too concerned there either.
The bad areas:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Glove box door fits like s**t, that'll have to be made better...
image.jpg

image.jpg

It's going to take some work to fix it all up and fit in the car (it's about 3" too wide), but I have a couple'a cool ideas rattling around in my brain I'm gonna try. :cool:
You guys might think I'm kinda wacked for getting excited over this turd of a dash, but I can picture it all fixed up and dyed, and it should look right at home in the car. Also, this way I get to keep the car all Olds with an Olds dash. No Hyundai junk here! :banana:

Anyways, I look forward to your comments and feedback, let me know if you can see my vision for this in the car, or if you think I've lost it completely! :rofl:
Cheers,
Donovan

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor