BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Really nice work, Donovan, it all looks great! Is the exhaust pipe stainless steel?

I just started building the exhaust for my car last night and appreciate seeing how you made the pipes fit proper by opening up the pipe and filling in the gaps with more metal.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it and hopefully it’ll be of some use to you on your exhaust. The exhaust is not stainless, it was originally aluminized steel. But I found the aluminum coating contaminated my welds occasionally, so all the areas to get welded were stripped down to bare steel.
The entire exhaust system will get coated inside and out from front to back anyways, so I wasn’t really too concerned about it.

Now that's what I call an update 👏
An astounding amount of fabrication and attention to detail.
And I'm sure you mentioned before, but I cannot remember with so many details given... are you going to have the exhaust coated ? Ceramic, etc.. ???

Appreciate it Tony, thank you.
I probably did mention it at some point, but yes, the entire exhaust system will be ceramic coated in high lustre silver (likely CeraKote) from front to back, inside and out to match the headers. I’m actually ready to pull it back off the car NOW for the final time and drop it off at the coaters, but the weather here has turned and we’ve received a ton of snow. Which is not good, because I can’t fit all the individual pieces inside my regular cab work truck, and transporting bare metal pipes in a bed full of snow isn’t really an option.
I’ll just have to bide my time and wait for a decently dry day first.

Your a freeking wizard man ! WOW I'm at a loss for words. Your work reminds me of Arlen Ness!

Wow, that’s quite the compliment! Thank you, I’m flattered!!

You are an animal dude.

Actually, you are much more advanced than an animal.

You are a galaxy traveling alien dude.

Kinda cool to see the work that goes on behind the scenes of a really full custom car and makes me appreciate metalwork on say a GNRS/Riddler quality 55-88 type build a lot more than a early hotrod because there are SO many more parts and pieces and complexity to the floors than a basic 30's hotrod.

Couldn’t agree more Jake, that’s something I’ve personally thought for years as well. Those old roadsters were so much simpler, less parts, less complexity, and probably easier to build IMO.

Thanks for the compliments from this galaxy travelling alien dude! 👽 😅

As usual, fabulous work. Definitely a good example of making a plan and execution with experience. Love to see it coming together.
Just beautiful Donovan. I enjoy seeing it come together too.

Thank you Duke and Jeff, again I really appreciate it. It means a lot, much more so coming from my peers than from say, random people at a car show. You guys are the ones I’d much rather be judged by.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Alrighty then, time for another update yet again already.

At the end of the last one, I mentioned something that I’m referring to as DIRTT, or Doing It Right This Time. This is but one of potentially several DIRTTy spots that could pop up, and to be honest it’s one that I had all but forgotten about.

You see, the downside of owning a car for 30 years is that some of the work was done by a teenager. Or in my case, a twentysomething. Twentysomething me understood the issue, and even the solution, but lacked the experience and tools to make a decent repair of it at the time.

To skip right to the heart of the issue, I’m trying desperately to get to the point where I can shoot the rear firewall and the sides of the inside back of the car in epoxy. You see, there is a Murphy’s Law that says something to the effect of: “Before the desired task can be completed, something of equal or greater importance must be done first”.

Boy does that ever apply here.

To do a quality job of this, it necessitated removing the rear quarter windows and their related trim so I could prep all the surfaces first. The driver’s side went well, I found that I had siliconed the glass in, but cutting through it and the removal went quickly. At least it didn’t and wasn’t ever going to leak.

The passenger’s side however, is where a sin from my past reared it’s ugly head. On both sides, once I had the glass and trim out and off, I got down and dirty with removing all the old seam sealer, silicone, paint and dirt etc. Once I had this all cleaned up, I was reminded that I had replaced a section of the lower window ledge back in the day due to rust. How I did it however is what left much to be desired.

Doesn’t look too bad from the outside with the glass removed. Tiny little bit of rust forming where the trim had rubbed, but that’s it…

E2FD4C73-05BF-401C-91F0-2D7283FF9C90.jpeg

…the inside however, revealed a different picture:

A0B832CA-4214-4CD9-AEA1-6A3F3A397D6D.jpeg

Especially at the bottom inside edge:

37796894-7BD2-4125-91D9-E26A5F5DD73A.jpeg

For reference, the driver’s side is virgin untouched stock, and what it’s supposed to look like:

E7DD785A-F4AB-4F5D-802E-4DABF39CA02B.jpeg

So now you can see what I did as a repair at the time, and how. It served its purpose at the time, and was probably the best I could do with what I had, but it certainly wasn’t ideal. This screw hole so close to the top edge and the buildup of filler is what had me concerned:

B570C258-83EF-4530-958A-093044028C7A.jpeg

After waffling and struggling with my conscience for a bit, I felt it would be prudent to revisit this and do the repair properly this time. Before even cutting out the old stuff, I started making a proper replacement piece. After bending a piece in the brake and stretching it in the shrinker/stretcher, I had the beginnings of the new piece.

0350D107-C688-4240-A4AF-C233A32D957A.jpeg

First test fit was promising:

2545401C-2DF7-47B0-8978-820A4E5C2F7A.jpeg

20C42578-74EB-491C-8EA7-B8525E74BA8F.jpeg

Now having the replacement piece fitting fairly well, next came stripping down the outside to reveal just how bad it looked underneath. It wasn’t pretty.

06D9C6D4-2126-4D26-860D-42274917A482.jpeg

BBE0EF17-287B-4C33-AE88-ABEC9932B064.jpeg

Out came the cutoff wheel and make the ugly go away.

DD4BB4D9-52BB-4F85-BC7E-25348D1715A5.jpeg

C3CB1AAF-8FE9-4708-A380-99C8BD6617D1.jpeg

With the last remnants of my old repair removed, it was plain to see the underlying metal wasn’t in the greatest of shape either. Cuts in the substructure from going too deep…

BB5918AC-2789-422B-84E8-557BC53F569D.jpeg

…and heavily pitted inner surface that wasn’t replaced at the time:

4B6FE678-FCDB-4D03-8FD5-E3335599C7CE.jpeg

Nothing a little more cutting wouldn’t take care of for the rusty section, and a little welding and grinding on the cut areas:

05940634-F98A-487D-B2E3-9B938C77F6D1.jpeg

Moving back to my new replacement piece, I used the driver’s side as a template to make this side look as close as possible, both in looks and in physical construction.

AA6B1946-12D8-4DC3-84B1-6CA08DD058CE.jpeg

A little trimming and a lot of test fitting, and it was getting close to being ready to weld in.

C32C38F4-4E08-472D-9EC6-18D5B5189FE5.jpeg

CB3FA5B5-7EF1-40AE-B1CC-277489AD34A0.jpeg

I first had to add this little tab to the inside bottom of the “B” pillar…

AF06EA1D-58CE-4D02-B732-AA5200D6D0F7.jpeg

…then start tack welding it in:

69755FF9-24A9-4C26-87B4-33A9919033FB.jpeg

On the inside, the 90 degree tab got a couple of holes punched in it, then plug welded to the inner structure just like factory. Except nicer.

A3124124-BA55-48FC-B44F-36A3CF0D5E46.jpeg

Back on the outside, in progress:

166EAA3F-CAEE-430A-A1F4-2DDEA6782B22.jpeg

A little more welding and grinding, some finesse on the edges, and I think you’d be hard pressed to tell anything was even done now.

51C859DD-6651-4C66-9B8F-AB3EC721629A.jpeg

580B50B5-AC93-49B2-B84D-53F363EFDC82.jpeg

AC780AE4-8867-4841-8889-BF545974D6A8.jpeg

I have a couple more pictures I could put up, but I’m at the limit already for this post. I think you all get the jist though, the repair was done right this time.

I’ve added in the last few bits to the inside to finish it off, done a couple test fits with the moulding (it fits absolutely perfectly with no issues), and redrilled the holes to reattach it as well. I’ve made this side as close as I possibly can to the driver’s side, and am extremely pleased with the results.

Glad I decided to take the time and redo this repair now, and Do It Right This Time.

D.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • In Love
Reactions: 22 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
It's nice to see that the younger D made some mistakes even if the result then was better than most of us could achieve. On another note, I'm a little concerned that you have that shiny conductive piece on your finger. Be careful with the digits brother. 😬

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I hope I can do work at this level before I'm worm dirt. Probably not but iit's inspiring nonetheless.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well damn.
After over a decade of waiting and wanting to be in a position to be able to afford these, tonight I finally pulled the trigger:

E6865D6F-F824-4CD8-9925-F1B854F699B7.png

And these are the newest release heads with the improved heart shaped combustion chamber, for The Juggernaut’s big 462.

So stoked. No turning back now!

• Winner
Reactions: 19 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Those are a nice head, awesome! One set tested were less than spectacular 240ish cfm , the other two showed improvement over the last gen heads. Bigger runners and valves with more porting potential than the previous generation. I am waiting patiently for the SB version.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Those are a nice head, awesome! One set tested were less than spectacular 240ish cfm , the other two showed improvement over the last gen heads. Bigger runners and valves with more porting potential than the previous generation. I am waiting patiently for the SB version.

Yep, I read through the thread on Classic Oldsmobile started by Mark so I’m fairly familiar with the redesign and the changes over the original aluminum castings. Including the lowered runner floors and the additional material on the roofs. I’m taking this opportunity to also upgrade my rockers to Harland Sharp 1.6 rollers, and a few other things.
Up fairly soon after that will be trying to find a good roller cam and roller lifter retrofit kit, and quite possibly go to an Eddy air gap intake. Might as well go whole hog on this and make it worthwhile.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 11 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor