BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Is the foam closed cell, so no worries about holding moisture? Not that it will see much anyways….

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oh man. Your attention to detail about stuff i didn't even know about. Questions will be asked in the future especially about the foam stuff. But for now just waiting patiently for more.

No worries, ask away when ready, but your questions just might get answered here and now as it would seem some of the other guys are curious too.

Donovan, I think you have the patience of Job. More excellent work. Like you, I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. I also have questions about the foam stuff, but will wait. Are you also going to paint the floor? I know it will get carpet, but I'm assuming that you'll seal it up first.

Thank you again Jeff, as always I appreciate the kind words. “Paint” may not be the correct term for it, but yes it will most definitely receive a coating. I will eventually be spraying the entire floor pans, front to rear, in the same epoxy primer that I’ll be shooting in the next couple days. Epoxy primer is pretty much the most effective defense against corrosion, is tough as nails, and is compatible over top of most any substrate. A much better alternative than straight paint for this purpose.

The topside of the floors will get sprayed in epoxy, then get DynaMat or similar product, then underlay and eventually carpet over top. The underside will get coated in epoxy first, then likely Raptor Liner or some other similar truck bed style coating. I may or may not paint the liner coating afterwards. Truck bed liner coating may not be the prettiest, but it’s hard to beat for durability. I’m just holding off on that until the body goes on the rotisserie and I can easily address the underside before I tackle spraying the floors.

Is the foam closed cell, so no worries about holding moisture? Not that it will see much anyways….

As for the foam, I’ve got no stake in this game so I’ll tell it like it is from my experience with it.

To answer @superbon54’s question, I do believe it is closed cell. That is, I seem to recall reading somewhere in one of the tech sheets that it is closed cell, at least in its cured and untouched form. I say untouched, because when I trimmed off the excess, it appeared to have the consistency of an Aero candy bar inside. I think I likely compromised the integrity of the “closed cell” portion of it as soon as I cut into it.

In all honesty, I don’t think I would buy this particular product again. Go to your local hardware store and pick up a $15 can of the regular expanding foam stuff, because that’s exactly what this stuff appears to be. Minus the $100+ price tag just because it says “3M” on it. I honestly can’t differentiate anything different between the two. The only advantage I can see to the 3M stuff is that it can be used as many times as needed until empty because the dispensing tips can be changed when the product hardens. Where as the hardware stuff is a one and done, wasting the unused product once you’re done with the initial use.

This was one of two foams offered by 3M, it’s marketed as a rigid foam for filling large gaps and voids such as inside B and C pillars. It dries hard as the description implies.

The other foam I came across in my research was a soft flexible foam, designed to reduce “flutter” between panels. Think like the glue “dots” that separate the hood skin from the underlying structure on our cars. To the best of my knowledge, neither one will hold moisture. At least it’s not mentioned in the technical descriptions.

• Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
No worries, ask away when ready, but your questions just might get answered here and now as it would seem some of the other guys are curious too.

Thank you again Jeff, as always I appreciate the kind words. “Paint” may not be the correct term for it, but yes it will most definitely receive a coating. I will eventually be spraying the entire floor pans, front to rear, in the same epoxy primer that I’ll be shooting in the next couple days. Epoxy primer is pretty much the most effective defense against corrosion, is tough as nails, and is compatible over top of most any substrate. A much better alternative than straight paint for this purpose.

The topside of the floors will get sprayed in epoxy, then get DynaMat or similar product, then underlay and eventually carpet over top. The underside will get coated in epoxy first, then likely Raptor Liner or some other similar truck bed style coating. I may or may not paint the liner coating afterwards. Truck bed liner coating may not be the prettiest, but it’s hard to beat for durability. I’m just holding off on that until the body goes on the rotisserie and I can easily address the underside before I tackle spraying the floors.

As for the foam, I’ve got no stake in this game so I’ll tell it like it is from my experience with it.

To answer @superbon54’s question, I do believe it is closed cell. That is, I seem to recall reading somewhere in one of the tech sheets that it is closed cell, at least in its cured and untouched form. I say untouched, because when I trimmed off the excess, it appeared to have the consistency of an Aero candy bar inside. I think I likely compromised the integrity of the “closed cell” portion of it as soon as I cut into it.

In all honesty, I don’t think I would buy this particular product again. Go to your local hardware store and pick up a $15 can of the regular expanding foam stuff, because that’s exactly what this stuff appears to be. Minus the $100+ price tag just because it says “3M” on it. I honestly can’t differentiate anything different between the two. The only advantage I can see to the 3M stuff is that it can be used as many times as needed until empty because the dispensing tips can be changed when the product hardens. Where as the hardware stuff is a one and done, wasting the unused product once you’re done with the initial use.

This was one of two foams offered by 3M, it’s marketed as a rigid foam for filling large gaps and voids such as inside B and C pillars. It dries hard as the description implies.

The other foam I came across in my research was a soft flexible foam, designed to reduce “flutter” between panels. Think like the glue “dots” that separate the hood skin from the underlying structure on our cars. To the best of my knowledge, neither one will hold moisture. At least it’s not mentioned in the technical descriptions.
You did answer my questions. But being that this particular 3M product expands 10 to 1, is there any chance it can actually distort an outer panel? And bringing up spray foam in a can there are many different types. Yes the 3M you used is closed cell as I already did the research. Reason I wonder about that much expansion is some spray foam can bow a window or door frame causing issues. So they make a less aggressive foam for that task. I really like the idea of filling the voids and helping with sound
control
Edit - I'm talking about home construction type foam when I speak of windows and doors.

Reactions: 1 user

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco

Haha, I was wondering as I initially was reading if the hardware store stuff could work. Those 3M labels and fancy packaging are expensive! Great write up on the stuff, and stellar work on the ride! I get the need/want for dynamat and carpet, but damn it seems like you’re putting a curtain in front of the Mona Lisa🤣

• Haha

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
is there any chance it can actually distort an outer panel?

Only if the foam has nowhere to go. That’s the only time you could get into trouble with it. As long as it has somewhere to expand to, there won’t be any issues. Besides, I highly doubt this stuff is strong enough to do that, in an enclosed space or not.
Good question though.

I get the need/want for dynamat and carpet, but damn it seems like you’re putting a curtain in front of the Mona Lisa🤣

Ah don’t worry, it’ll only be covering up the floor. The rear firewall and all its details will still be fully exposed for all to see.
🙂

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, she’s been all scrubbed down and cleaned within an inch of her life. Lots of cleaning and wiping down with the strongest formula wax and grease remover, plus blowing out and off. It’s about as clean as it’s going to get.

The colors have never been brighter, and the factory seam sealer hasn’t looked this clean since it was new!

C16E22C6-56E2-4C39-A9B6-6DF6921F2F36.jpeg

DE082A38-89D9-4582-9F86-E8FD0F9965C9.jpeg

9425D90B-F253-46B4-B240-3A83BEF21703.jpeg

09BAE8AB-2E7A-44B6-BB1E-9187E731484F.jpeg

The masking paper and plastic sheeting on the floor of the car seem to be holding up really well. I climbed in and out several times throughout my cleaning process, and didn’t even so much as disturb them. This bodes well for tomorrow. The air hoses are laid out, the gloves and respirator are ready to go, and the mixing bench is all set up as well.

DB1DA01C-CC5B-40BA-8839-8196480440ED.jpeg

I’m about as ready as I can get for tomorrow night, should be able to go straight to mixing and spraying right after dinner.
👍🏻

• Winner
Reactions: 15 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I’d like a live feed please.

Hahaha
A live feed wouldn’t be near as interesting as you’d think it would be. Just me climbing in and out of the car, waving the paint gun around. If I did though, it would be to the soundtrack of The Rolling Stones “Paint it Black”.
😅
A POV reel with a GoPro mounted to the spray gun might be kind of interesting though.

Reactions: 8 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor