BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Also I have run into the vaccum issue with a fuel cell in my first chevelle. Long story short, I was having a problem with car stumbling and eventually dying out. After troubleshooting, I figured it out when I opening the fill on tank and plastic top of tank popped up. It was in a vaccum. This was pre internet and not much of any info available.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Since your vent is going back into the tank, does this make it a sealed system? In other words the vent isn't really venting

I kinda figured I’d get called out on this. But to the best of my knowledge (I’m like 85% sure), the gas caps on our cars are vented. If I’m wrong, somebody please correct me. But if I’m correct, venting the tank to the filler neck should be sufficient because it will vent the tank through the cap. I can’t see how even the factory system would work if the cap wasn’t vented, it would result in a vacuum situation as you described.

Again, if I’m wrong here though, somebody please correct me.

Worst case scenario, if it does indeed create a vacuum situation, I’ll just pull the filler neck fitting and hose, plug the hole, and run the vent port to a rollover valve. The Aeromotive system did not come with a rollover valve, so if yours came with one I would just use it.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
looks good as usual.i did something similar years ago(abet not as nice)because there was some kind of venting problem happening when refilling w/the aftermarket tanks.it would behave like it was full when it wasn't.i also ran into a similar set up on late 80's f series dump trucks,choose a vented cap when the time comes,it's cheap enough insurance.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I kinda figured I’d get called out on this. But to the best of my knowledge (I’m like 85% sure), the gas caps on our cars are vented. If I’m wrong, somebody please correct me. But if I’m correct, venting the tank to the filler neck should be sufficient because it will vent the tank through the cap. I can’t see how even the factory system would work if the cap wasn’t vented, it would result in a vacuum situation as you described.

Again, if I’m wrong here though, somebody please correct me.

Worst case scenario, if it does indeed create a vacuum situation, I’ll just pull the filler neck fitting and hose, plug the hole, and run the vent port to a rollover valve. The Aeromotive system did not come with a rollover valve, so if yours came with one I would just use it.
Not really calling you out. And I honestly have no idea about the cap. Is there a way to know if it's vented? With all emission requirements even back then i would guess no but I just don't know. Now I have to go take a look at my gas cap. Lol

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think Chris is right, I believe there are vented and non vented caps. It could/should be just as easy as making sure the right one is used.

• Agree

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
My car had a tank with 3 lines at the sender and I replaced with a 2 line sender. The 2 line sender was marked for something like a 1980 Buick Century only, so I got the impression the overwhelming majority of these cars had charcoal canisters?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My car had a tank with 3 lines at the sender and I replaced with a 2 line sender. The 2 line sender was marked for something like a 1980 Buick Century only, so I got the impression the overwhelming majority of these cars had charcoal canisters?

Correct, but this no longer emissions equipped. So no provision to reconnect it to the charcoal canister. Now an apples to oranges comparison.

What's that 1/4" nip go to?

The charcoal canister in stock configurations.

• Agree

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Correct, but this no longer emissions equipped. So no provision to reconnect it to the charcoal canister. Now an apples to oranges comparison.

The charcoal canister in stock configurations.

So, if a charcoal canister is present, wouldn't that mean the cap is not vented?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor