BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Honestly Ive nothing but problems with it. The geometry is not correct and Bernie doesn't want to admit it. All of my parts are bone stock, GM replacement parts. So it's not a Chinese part quality issue. I didn't have enough throw to even bleed it in the first place. He emailed a template so I could drill and tap a new hole, lower on the pedal. I did that and that's how it's been since. I STILL don't have enough throw. I'm literally 95% of the way there. I have to bury my foot into the pedal and the clutch just barely drags. There is more throw on the clutch master, just the pivot is incorrect. I cannot simply drill another hole further down for multiple reasons. The pushrod is at max angle into the mastercylinder. Second off. My clutch pedal is already 2" higher than my brake pedal. If he would just admit there is an issue I'd be much happier. But selling them as a "bolt in" solution is a straight up lie. I could use a larger master cylinder, but the master will hit on the upper control arm.
What I'll have to do is remove the bracket, cut it on the side where it's welded, take it to work and add a few degrees of bend to the portion where the master mounts, so the pushrod will be at the correct angle. Reweld, install, then drill ANOTHER hole in the pedal further down to get full movement of the factory GM master cylinder.

Let me guess: he's sold a million and you're the first to complain.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
If I was the first to complain, he wouldn't have told me others have had issues and that he had a template already made to alter the geometry.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
All my emails for this thread have been in my spam folder and I'm aggravated 😤
Getting back to the Edelbrock heads
Have you checked to see if anyone has a good program to cnc port them ? I am also of the opinion (jmo) that you should have heads checked locally or you can do it yourself. I had a bad experience with heads in the past. It was only made good by speaking with the owner (famous guy) of the company. Long story.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Agreed. I’m not convinced that the porting job that was done on my heads was good though. Very easy to screw up a set of heads by porting if you don’t know what you’re doing. All it takes is to get into the short turn radius’s.
Before I parked it, the car ran 13.1 seconds in the quarter at over 100 mph at 3500 feet elevation, but only made 282 rear wheel HP and approximately 300 ft lbs torque on a Mustang chassis dyno. It should’ve made much more power than that for the combination of parts I had in it IMO. Granted the power hungry TH400 was eating a lot of it, but still.

With those low wheel HP numbers but respectable quarter mile times, I’m guessing I was making very good use of the power I had and had it pretty much optimized. Looking to do MUCH BETTER than that this time around.
Whoa whoa whoa, when did this occur? Pictures to prove it (haha)?

FWIW, to heck with dyno numbers.

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Yep, it’s really real now. Although it still hasn’t quite sunken in yet. 20ish years of waiting, the day is finally here.

Big block Olds aluminum cylinder heads, the newest redesign with all the upgrades.
If you’re a performance Olds guy, you’ll understand these improvements.

View attachment 215366

Actual proper fully divorced center exhaust ports:

View attachment 215367

View attachment 215368

Relief pocket for mechanical fuel pumps:

View attachment 215369

Fully assembled, ready to run with valves, springs, keepers, locks, seals, guide plates, and screw-in 7/16” studs:

View attachment 215370

Heat riser crossover passage eliminated, and raised intake runner floors for a better shot at the valves:

View attachment 215371

Improved smaller heart shaped 77cc combustion chambers:

View attachment 215378

Spark plugs angled towards the intake valve:

View attachment 215372

View attachment 215373

View attachment 215374

View attachment 215375

View attachment 215377

And weighing in at only 37lbs each, fully assembled. Compare that to 99lbs bare for a factory cast iron head.

I’ve officially died and gone to gearhead heaven.
giphy.gif

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Drove 2 hours south to meet up with Cauterize and his fam for the Lethbridge swap meet today. Northernregal was supposed to join us as well, but unfortunately he had to work. Normally I come home empty handed from these things, but today was a success.

Thanks to Blane’s eagle eyes, I picked up this Edelbrock RPM Air Gap knockoff for cheap.

994CE76A-B09F-4BF9-A4A5-C6B9B0DD3639.jpeg

B39B9BC1-D688-4A17-A939-2D99D3311C1D.jpeg

Guy wanted $300 Canadian pesos for it, but after a little haggling, he ended up taking $185 for it. I’m actually quite impressed with the quality and the casting, it’s far better than one would think from an offshore knockoff. No pits, flashing or otherwise poor casting qualities, and looks to have been very lightly used.

After removing all the old owners junk off it and cleaning up the machined surfaces with nothing more than a rubber bristle Roloc disc, everything looks really really good.

A93639D6-0753-49C7-BD54-F6C5D2298E23.jpeg

15EF1D19-91D5-4C86-9885-04EA604CDB48.jpeg

C383FCDD-E1DD-4B8B-BA6D-69D2D1E2EABF.jpeg

BEC8685D-9B51-4690-B3DE-5A936B604BFC.jpeg

A little light pitting around the water jacket passages, but that’s to be expected. I was impressed that they weren’t all rotted out.

6BC2FCD0-6588-4D5E-8239-53C693510039.jpeg

This is the worst one, but it’s only to supply coolant to the heater hose:

78992EB5-24D5-4992-8C97-48B96A42310E.jpeg

Next week I’ll take it into work and glass bead it in our blast cabinet, I can guarantee it’ll clean up like brand new.

CA391D07-8B09-4CB7-9273-BF501F2DF1F6.jpeg

This should compliment the new cylinder heads quite nicely, it’s a substantial upgrade over my existing plain old Performer manifold. And like the heads, this too was part of the plan all along too. I would’ve preferred a genuine Edelbrock, but for the price, condition, and surprising apparent quality of this CrossWind one, I’ll take it. Worst case scenario, if for whatever reason it turns out to be a total POS, I’ll send it down the road to the next guy and go back to an Edelbrock.

• Winner
Reactions: 16 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Drove 2 hours south to meet up with Cauterize and his fam for the Lethbridge swap meet today. Northernregal was supposed to join us as well, but unfortunately he had to work. Normally I come home empty handed from these things, but today was a success.

Thanks to Blane’s eagle eyes, I picked up this Edelbrock RPM Air Gap knockoff for cheap.

View attachment 215906

View attachment 215904

Guy wanted $300 Canadian pesos for it, but after a little haggling, he ended up taking $185 for it. I’m actually quite impressed with the quality and the casting, it’s far better than one would think from an offshore knockoff. No pits, flashing or otherwise poor casting qualities, and looks to have been very lightly used.

After removing all the old owners junk off it and cleaning up the machined surfaces with nothing more than a rubber bristle Roloc disc, everything looks really really good.

View attachment 215905

View attachment 215907

View attachment 215909

View attachment 215911

A little light pitting around the water jacket passages, but that’s to be expected. I was impressed that they weren’t all rotted out.

View attachment 215908

View attachment 215910

Next week I’ll take it into work and glass bead it in our blast cabinet, I can guarantee it’ll clean up like brand new.

View attachment 215912

This should compliment the new cylinder heads quite nicely, it’s a substantial upgrade over my existing plain old Performer manifold. And like the heads, this too was part of the plan all along too. I would’ve preferred a genuine Edelbrock, but for the price, condition, and surprising apparent quality of this CrossWind one, I’ll take it. Worst case scenario, if for whatever reason it turns out to be a total POS, I’ll send it down the road to the next guy and go back to an Edelbrock.
after a LITTLE haggling? nice job. I remember an episode of engine masters where they did intake shoot out I think that might have been one of the models.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
after a LITTLE haggling? nice job. I remember an episode of engine masters where they did intake shoot out I think that might have been one of the models.

Yeah, I didn’t exactly want to cut him off at the knees with an offer of $150, but had to start somewhere. It worked out because he countered with $200, and we met just over the middle at $185.

Reviews on the CrossWind manifolds are hit and miss, some guys have had bad issues with things like port misalignments and bolt holes not drilled at the right angles, but others have had no issues whatsoever and love them. I have a spare set of Olds intake gaskets here that I tried on them, and they align perfectly.
So, 🤷🏼‍♂️? As far as the performance is concerned, the consensus seems to be that they’re pretty much on par with Edelbrock.

Reactions: 2 users

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge

View attachment 215906

View attachment 215904

View attachment 215905

View attachment 215907

View attachment 215909

View attachment 215911

View attachment 215908

View attachment 215910

View attachment 215912

Come on you didn't want to leave that advanced vacuum hyperloop on that manifold?

At least we found something in the sea of garbage. My buddy told me that Chevelle rear end dude wouldn't go lower than 250.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor